BH-6 Bastard PCI Slot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BH-6 Bastard PCI Slot

Hey everyone! I need some help with a PCI slot problem that I'm having. I've got a BH-6 and I've tried several times to put a card in the last PCI slot (#5). This slot is the ISA/PCI "shared slot" on the mobo. I've tried my soundcard, my NIC, and my SCSI cards, but nothing seems to work in that last slot. Has anyone out there actually gotten anything to work in that last slot, or perhaps have any insight into why nothings works there? It burns me up because one of the reasons I bought this board was the fact that it had 5 PCI slots. If the last one doesn't work, why even bother putting it on there. I have the old rev. of the BH-6, running the latest version of it's BIOS ( the LN version ). Please, if you know anything about this, enlighten me ...

------------------
    The Silicon Prophet
    (aka Manex)

ABIT BH-6, Celeron 300A @ 450 MHz, 128MB RAM, Millenium G200 16MB, IBM Deskstar 10GXP, SB LIVE!, Adaptec AHA-2940UW, Plextor 32X CDROM, Plextor 4X/12X CD-R, 3COM Etherlink XL PCI, US Robotics Sporster 33.6 Fax/Modem, IOMEGA ZIP 100 SCSI, Motorola Cybersurfr Wave cable modem

I don't have that board myself, but do you know if it shares that slot #5 IRQ with some other slot? That's where your problem could be; that other card is not too much of a sharing type..

B

[This message has been edited by Buuri (edited 08-14-1999).]

Comment

Buuri, I read in a post some time ago which slots will share an IRQ if necessary, but I can't seem to find it again. Helchen responded in another post that the BH-6 doesn't support PCI cards that use an IRQ in all of the PCI slots. My guess is that the unsupported slot is the last one. If that's the case, then I'm screwed because all my PCI cards use at least one IRQ. I'm not getting any problems with my G200 sharing the IRQ yet, but I've read of others having problems and I'm a proactive type guy. It just makes me mad when I can't get my hardware to do what I want, at least when it's a reasonable request! I'll keep trying things and see what happens...

Cheers!

------------------
      The Silicon Prophet
      (aka Manex)

ABIT BH-6, Celeron 300A @ 450 MHz, 128MB RAM, Millenium G200 16MB, IBM Deskstar 10GXP, SB LIVE!, Adaptec AHA-2940UW, Plextor 32X CDROM, Plextor 4X/12X CD-R, 3COM Etherlink XL PCI, US Robotics Sporster 33.6 Fax/Modem, IOMEGA ZIP 100 SCSI, Motorola Cybersurfr Wave cable modem

Comment

i had problems w/ my abit bh6 also. here is my current card config in which everything now works. caused so many headaches on thursday when my rr g-series came because everything wanted to use irq 11.

g400 max agp
        rr g-series
        empty (actualy a slot fan)
        adaptec 2940
        empty
        sblive value
        isa empty because shared slot
        isa 3com etherlink III

my 3com pci 10/100tx now sits in the pile of hardware waiting to be used again some day.

Comment

I have the following setup working flawlessly with bh-6. RR-G in the slot#5, maybe good because it doesn't use an IRQ, does it?

agp - g400
          pci#1 - Canopus DVRaptor
          pci#2 - SBLive! value
          pci#3 - empty
          pci#4 - 56k hsp modem
          pci#5 - Rainbow Runner G-series
          isa#1 - empty
          isa#2 - empty

The G400 shares IRQ11 with the DVRaptor. No conflicts are reported and both cards work great, but should the G400 be assigned its own IRQ to gain speed perhaps?
          And if so, what is the best way to reassign the IRQs?

thanks,

mikko

Comment

I have a BH6 Motherboard also
            i have found that the irq for slot 5 is happy with irq 3, 4, 5, i have used pci modem in that slot and (at a different time of course) a modem in the isa slot. i have found that irq 9 and above do not like that slot on my board. Nothing in the documentation states that but i did have problems with asound card with an ide controller taking irq10 in the isa and had problems with the linksys network card in that pci slot with irq 9, 10, 11, 12 this just my observation.

Comment

The BH6 (and all newer ABIT boards) works like this:

AGP = IRQA
              PCI1 = IRQA
              PCI2 = IRQB
              PCI3 = IRQC
              PCI4 = IRQD
              PCI5 = IRQD
              USB = IRQD

ACPI = IRQB or IRQC usually, very hard to get it to go anywhere else.

- Slarty nee Ash

------------------
              Portions of this message may have been Copyright 1999, Jorden van der Elst. All rights (and lefts) reserved.
              ------------------------
              Specs? You want specs? Yeah. Alright you primitive screwheads, listen up. See this? This is my boomstick! It's a twelve gauge double barreled Remington, S-Mart's top-of-the-line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids Michigan. Retails for about $109.95. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop Smart. Shop S-mart. Ya got that?! Now I swear, the next one of you primates, even touches me...

Comment

Thanks for the replys guys... I tried to get several cards to work in that last PCI slot including:
                (1) my SB LIVE! value
                (2) a 3COM Etherlink XL network card
                (3) an Adaptec 2902 (?) fast SCSI adapter
                None of these cards wanted to work correctly. When I put the sound card in that slot, the computer would boot up, but the sound was just garbage coming out of the speakers, kind of like white noise. With the network card there, the computer refused to boot. It would just hang on the splash screen. Then, with the SCSI adapter there, the computer would boot up but either hang when attempting to add new hardware or the card would just not work. I tried forcing the IRQ in the device manger, but that was a no-go. The OS won't let me change the resources. MAybe I can re-shuffle the cards and try to force the IRQs again in the BIOS. Slarti, thanks for posting that IRQ sharing table again, I appreciate it.

Cheers!

------------------
                The Silicon Prophet
                (aka Manex)

Comment

I've got a 3Com network card there too and it works ok.Maybe your board is just defective?or dusty?

Comment

Working...
                  X