Laptop AV out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop AV out

I have loads of old TV recorded as AVI files. I can watch them on my laptop, but it would be nice to output it to the TV if possible. There is a 3.5mm minijack port for S/PDIF but I dont have a suitable cable to see what the audio would be like from that. Any suggestions?

My laptop has USB, firewire, VGA, and a HP expansion port3 (whatever that is), 1xPCMCIA.

Cheers guys
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

It doesn't have an s-video out? What's your laptop Paddy?
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

No it doesn't. I didn't think of checking before i bought it.

It's a HP Pavilion 6174ea
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Is it the dv6174ea? Cause if i do a search for the same model without the dv it comes up as a desktop.

Seems to have one but if you say it doesn't then you can probably pick up a vga to s-video converter.

Comment

yeah it is the DV sorry

Yeah, you are right. It does say S-video. that is the right model... where the hell is it!

Comment

Doh!!!!! found it... i thought that was ps2

oops!

Comment

Do you know what s/pdif cable i'd need? My amp has optical and phono inputs.

Comment

Is a cable a cable?

There is one here...

Comment

That's an s-video connector.
                  s/pdif could be an optical toslink or RCA connection.
                  In the case of an RCA connector you could use just a regular audio cable, but it is not recommended for longer runs. I have used regular RG59 or RG6 cable with proper terminators.
                  you will just need to verify your amp as an optical input with an RCA connector.
                  Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

No idea about the video cable, but the audio cable you'd need is one like this. A digital cable is a digital cable, quality-wise, so just buy the cheapest. You need sn S/PDIF cable with TOSLINK on one side (to the AV) and 3.5 mm minijack on the other (notebook SPDIF/headphone socket), and probably activate SPDIF somewhere in the drivers.
                    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

what Az said, missed the part about it having a 3.5 mm connector.
                      D'oh!
                      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

oops!

I always explain to my cliens that that port is video out, not PS/2. You can either plug an s-video cable directly into it, or get a breakout box. SOmething like this:

Jammrock
                        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

oops!

That solves it!

Comment

I'm wondering if that 1/8 plug is an electical or optical output?
                            Either could be used for S/PDIF

Comment

They are almost always optical. I don't even know if they exist in electric. They are ordinary headphone sockets, but at the far end is a laser diode or whatever generates the red light for TOSLINK. The plugs are plastic with a clear tip.
                              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                              X