Win98SE vs. Old Windows 98 - ? - Delay on startup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win98SE vs. Old Windows 98 - ? - Delay on startup

I've upgraded to Win98SE and found one anoying item - when starting up, before Win98SE completes the hourglass will continue for about 10 seconds. The "old" Win98 didn't do that.

Anyone know why the difference?

Figured this is the best (and friendliest and fastest) place to get an answer)
    Gateway Performance 850 - Matrox G450 32mb DDR, SB Live! Value, Promise UltraATA 66 & 30GB HD - and Windows 2000 Pro

My guess would be that while it still initializes some important components it's necessary to keep impatient users from clicking the desktop icons wildly.
    I don't have SE however..

B

Comment

If your talking about win98 loading and then pausing for a second, then the hourglass seems to go on again for a while then stop... then I pretty much know whose doing that. It's SysTray.exe if you really care. If it really annoys you just open up regedit and goto this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run

under that heading there should be Systray.exe variable there... just delete it and it won't ever load again. If you notice something you actually use gone or look funny, just put it back in.

I also remove taskmon.exe, scanregw.exe, and the Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme entries too simply because I'm a tweak monkey.... they serve no purpose for what I use my machine for.... that and I saved some memory doing it Have fun and back up that registry key before experimenting also...

Comment

Isn't systray required for windows to work properly? I think the only two things you need running are systray and explorer. The others you can delete but some are useful.
        Scanreg is for backing up your registry automatically, rundll32 is for changing resolutions(at least quickres uses it), and the power ones are used when your system goes into sleep mode(turning off monitor and such).

Comment

One question cputnam: did you install Win98SE over an existing Win9x version??

I know of people who have a perfectly running Win95 system, then install Win98 on top of it, and give me the same question...

It's because of a couple of darn things:
          a) Win98SE when installed freely or on top of another Win98 version, re-installs all your sounds, installs alot of extra wall-papers etc.
          b) Win98SE keeps all the ini files from the other version (if there is another version), and loads them in memory.
          c) Win98SE uses the newest DirectX files, and checks them everytime you start your PC or re-start.

The only good thing about Win98SE is modem-sharing....

Jorden
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

I know what they all do... and none of those I mentioned are really required for normal windows operation.... you have to experiment and see if anything is acting weird or bitching about something missing. Since windows is very finicky and not everyone uses the same system config, it could be very well some of those are required for some people. In fact, there are some files that windows 98 installs and some it doesn't install that I manually remove or add... but that's a whole different story. MS is still goofy about the whole /system directory... it can get sloppy and full of useless libraries that are almost impossible to keep track of, even for a tweak monkey. I still laugh when uninstallers don't uninstall things... it's like what's the point?

Comment

btw, I've seen windows 98 installed in less than a 50 meg footprint... that's pretty small for basic functionality. You can even play unreal on it... so there's no crippled-ness about it. It's not something you'd want to use on a daily basis but it's still cool as hell to see. Dude could even browse the web using opera which is like a 1.5 meg standalone executable browser.

Comment

Absolam, I ment for cputnam to know what he was doing before he removed those not you.

Comment

Working...
                X