Diebold Shows How to Make Your Own Voting Machine Key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diebold Shows How to Make Your Own Voting Machine Key

Ross Kinard of SploitCast wrote to me last month to point out that Diebold offers the key for sale on their web site. Of course, they won’t sell it to just anybody — only Diebold account holders can order it online. However, as Ross observed, Diebold’s online store shows a detailed photograph of the key.
    Research and expert commentary on digital technologies in public life.
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Just wow...
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Make sure you watch this video too;

Our voting machines are cards marked with black markers. No chads, no Diebold, just a counting machine similar to that used to grade standardized test papers.
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 23 January 2007, 11:59.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

It's almost as if they thought to themselves "How many security flaws can we put into this machine?"

I still don't get why the perfectly working paper vote here in Germany is going to be replaced by voting machines you can play chess on. I just don't see what the benefit will be, and no politician has been able to explain this yet.

Comment

Originally posted by az View Post
          It's almost as if they thought to themselves "How many security flaws can we put into this machine?"

I still don't get why the perfectly working paper vote here in Germany is going to be replaced by voting machines you can play chess on. I just don't see what the benefit will be, and no politician has been able to explain this yet.
          The makers of the machine has assured every party that only that party has the backdoor acces and can chose who will win
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post

Our voting machines are cards marked with black markers. No chads, no Diebold, just a counting machine similar to that used to grade standardized test papers.
            Same here.
            And the paper you marked goes into a box below the machine in case a recount is needed.
            And most common voting errors simply spit the ballot out and give you a chance to try again.

And EVERY county and precinct in Oklahoma uses the same machines and the same procedures.
            Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by az View Post
              It's easier to fix the elections with electronic voting machines.
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Of course. But that doesn't count as a benefit for me It may seem to be one for certain politicians, until they realize this is just giving power out of their hands and making things even more expensive.

Comment

And on a somewhat related note:

Why anyone bothers with electronic voting machines here is beyond me. I'd much rather have it take a week to count the votes accurately than get instantanous and erroneous/hacked results.

I think the Canadian (?) system is perfectly reasonable. Let anyone who chooses be present while the votes are being counted (this usually means someone from each party). Votes are counted by having an election official hold up the ballot so everyone can see it. When everyone agrees on the count, you're finished. Since most polling places (in the US) have maybe 10000 people vote at them (an estimate of mine - I don't have any hard numbers), a full count would take just about 5 work days assuming roughly 10 seconds per ballot (and one counting location per 10000 voters).

- Steve

Comment

In Germany, volunteers count the votes manually, with representatives of each party and interested citizens watching. You start counting after voting is closed (6 pm) and count until you are done and everybody agrees. This takes a few hours and it's not easy to find volunteers, but it works. The only "benefit" of voting machines is having the result a few hours early - but apart from this having no real use it takes all the suspense out of voting night

Comment

Over here, more and more voting offices are reverting to paper ballots. This after some hackers showed that one could easily determine what everyones vote was bases on the electro-magnetic radiation generated by the machine.....

Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

...and here, we're just buying exactly those machines en masse.

Comment

Which is good for me because I own some stock in the company that produces them.....
                          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I think that's unethical.

Comment

? What is unethical?

Comment

Working...
                              X