Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virus Software: Still AVG?

Hey all,
    I've been using AVG for quite a while now, but they're discontinuing 7.1 in favor of 7.5. I have downloaded, but not installed, 7.5.

Is AVG still a good way to go? I don't use Outlook or IE, so I'm not worried about mail scripts so much.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

I've uppgraded on several machines and I've noticed only cosmetic diffrences
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I've switched from using AVG to Avast! when installing AV onto home users PC's
      When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Taz View Post
        I've switched from using AVG to Avast! when installing AV onto home users PC's
        Why? Inquiring minds want to know.
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

AVG has served me well here(Free) and at work(Network). No issues and system performance is not adversely affected. I've not had any issues with version 7.5 of either.

Comment

Originally posted by High_Jumbllama View Post
            AVG has served me well here(Free) and at work(Network). No issues and system performance is not adversely affected. I've not had any issues with version 7.5 of either.

Same here!
            Titanium is the new bling!
            (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley View Post
              Why? Inquiring minds want to know.
              Had a few issues with AVG detecting viruses but not being able to remove them. Avast can do a pre-boot scan so will remove viruses that normal virus scanner cannot as they only check once Windows has loaded and the virus is already memory resident by then. It has push updates, a skinable UI, check IM's as well as the normal file, emails, web access etc.
              When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

I still go for NOD32, but it costs money. In the case of a free solution? I favor Avast. AVG has made the same mistake as many - trading "small and light" for bulky and intrusive.
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                I would still get screwed

Comment

Avast gets my vote too.

However, on my laptop (Win XP) I'm using AntiVir (Free for home users) and works fine so far.

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm View Post
                    I still go for NOD32, but it costs money. In the case of a free solution? I favor Avast. AVG has made the same mistake as many - trading "small and light" for bulky and intrusive.

Bulky and intrusive? How so?

Signed Curious

Comment

Not that I use Windows anymore (at least when I can help it), but I always liked the minimally intrusive ClamWin, which uses ClamAV as its engine.

In fact, I still use it in the form of ClamXav for OS X (better safe than sorry, even if it is unneeded overhead at this point).
                      “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Avast, eh? Download link?

@Wombat - I installed 7.5 on some client's machines lately, and it seemed fine. But yeah, I prefer the older AVG (v6?) better.

And yes, I've also had some viruses that AVG could not remove.

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino View Post
                          Avast, eh? Download link?
                          I've already put it on my first post

I'd recommend downloading the aVist skin

Comment

Originally posted by High_Jumbllama View Post
                            Bulky and intrusive? How so?

Signed Curious

It ... well, when you can see/feel a noticeable difference in system performance with the AV engine on or off... it's too bulky, in my book!
                            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                            I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                            X