Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looks like a wonderful day here in Chicago.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like a wonderful day here in Chicago.

Go Bears !!!

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Well I was hoping for a Bears vs Patriots rematch, and it looked like it was going that way for a while. But the Pats blew their huge 18pt lead and lost... feh

I have a feeling the advertisers aren't too happy with the match up, as viewership won't be nearly as high now.

Comment

I disagree. I think the optimal matchup for advertisers would be Colts vs. Saints, just because of the whole New Orleans thing. But Manning is the NFL's poster child, so him finally making it to the Super Bowl will bring in huge viewership.

And the Bears will bring in viewers too. I mean, come on, it's "Da Bears!"

I'm just in shock that Manning didn't choke. He played horribly the first two playoff games and the Colts won only because of their defense (shockingly enough). Today though he came out of his shell and got the job done.

In any event, I think it will be a good Super Bowl. Unless the Bears decide to bring their bad team with them to Miami.

Jammrock
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

What is it with this "da bears!" thing, BTW? I've heard it often now. Is it a play on something? I mean I like to say it for some strange reason, but where does it come from, and why?
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az View Post
          What is it with this "da bears!" thing, BTW? I've heard it often now. Is it a play on something? I mean I like to say it for some strange reason, but where does it come from, and why?

Comes from two places. First is the Chicago accent. For some odd reason "the" is often spoken "da" (pronounced somewhere between a "dah" and "duh") when using "the" to modify a noun in the thick Chicago accent. Just like they say "der" instead of "there" ("Jimmy's over der"). Maybe it's that odd mix of Scandinavian, Irish, German and Italian accents that got mixed up there.

In the mid-80's the US comedy show Saturday Night Live (SNL) ran several very popular skits about Chicago Bear fans (they were THE team in 1985 around when the skits started). Since several SNL cast members are Chicago natives they knew a true Chicagoan would say "da Bears" instead of "the Bears." Thus whenever the team name was spoken in the skits the entire skit cast would loudly chant, "Da Bears."

The name stuck.

Jammrock

Comment

Saturday Night Live, back in one of its funny eras, had a skit called "Super Fans."

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by rylan View Post
              Well I was hoping for a Bears vs Patriots rematch, and it looked like it was going that way for a while. But the Pats blew their huge 18pt lead and lost... feh

Me too.

But do not underestimate the Indiana Colts. They played quite a game last Sunday. What a come back!

BTW, last time they played together at Soldier’s Field 2 years ago, Bears lost playing Colts 10-41…… .

Comment

Manning played one good half in three play-off games and suddenly he's the man. Please. He's a great QB but he still can't perform under great pressure. At least he hasn't proven he can do it with any consistently. Don't forget that he threw almost as many picks in three playoff games (6) as he did in 16 regular season games (9), and now he's going up against a great defense.

And as history shows, a high powered defense will always beat a high powered offense in the big game.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post

And as history shows, a high powered defense will always beat a high powered offense in the big game.

Yup!

But than again, the power of adrenaline flowing rushing thru the body…. .

Also, it could be like the bad karma with Chicago playing the Green Bay, can’t beat them no matter what!

Comment

Working...
                  X