Wireless NIC for Windows 2003 Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless NIC for Windows 2003 Server

Now I would have thought getting a Wireless NIC that's supported by Windows 2003 Server would be an easy enough job, but so far I've not found nothing I've Googled, looked on Microsoft's server hardware catalogue and on various manufacturers websites but no one seems to list it as compatible or provide a driver for it Now I know you wouldn't normally use a wireless NIC with a server but as this is just a test server it will be more than sufficient.
    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

If the device has a working WinXP driver it will work in WinS2k3 99% of the time. WinS2k3 and WinXP use the same driver model, so just find a wNIC with a WHQL certified driver and you're set.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Thanks, I did try an old 802.11b card I had with an XP driver but it only worked intermittently.
      When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

That could be an antenna problem. PCI card wNICs tend to have worse signal quality unless the external antenna has a long enough cable to put above the desk/rack/whatever surface.

It's a shame you can't put an Intel wNIC in the server, because I've gotten those to work before without any issue.

Cisco has a PCI wNIC you can check out. Their drivers are pretty solid and they come with thier own connectivity software (at least they used to, haven't used one in a while):

Jammrock

Comment

Get a PCI to Mini-PCI Adapter and use an Intel Mini-PCI WI-FI card...all of Intel's drivers are certified for Server 2003 (I have a support laptop which runs Server 2003 quite well).

Cisco's Adapters are also top notch.
          Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
            That could be an antenna problem.
            I put it down to being a cheap nasty card

It's a shame you can't put an Intel wNIC in the server, because I've gotten those to work before without any issue.
            Seems strange Intel don't make a PCI wireless NIC

Originally posted by MultimediaMan View Post
            Get a PCI to Mini-PCI Adapter...
            I had a look for one of those a while back and only found one place over here that sold them, they of course wanted an arm and a leg for it

Comment

And you have to be careful with PCMCIA to PCI adapters. Type II cards won't fit in Type I slots, so you have to match the card to the adapter. Your best bet is to get a good PCI with a high gain antenna that you can put up in the open.

Comment

Are USB WLAN adaptors no option?
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Just to let you know I got a Buffalo PCI card which works fine It picked up the Win2k driver from the CD

Comment

Why would you want to do such a thing? I mean, you want your server to always be available!

(And wireless is pretty unreliable...)
                    Last edited by Gurm; 30 January 2007, 20:19.
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm View Post
                      Why would you want to do such a thing?
                      Originally posted by Taz View Post
                      Now I know you wouldn't normally use a wireless NIC with a server but as this is just a test server it will be more than sufficient.

(And wireless is pretty unreliable...)
                      It can be, but not always.

Comment

How about a bridge:
                        Experience fast, reliable, secure and easy to use WiFi when you level up with connectivity solutions made for home, business, and enterprise from Linksys.

Just connect it to the wired NIC, and you are good to go...

Jörg
                        pixar
                        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Thanks but the problem has already been solved

Comment

May we ask how?

Jörg
                            pixar
                            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by Taz View Post
                              Just to let you know I got a Buffalo PCI card which works fine

Comment

Working...
                              X