Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space superiority - over for the US?

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewnews.html?id=1188

While the US had space superiority, it could effectively control the the frontline, traditional battlefield.

why?
    Space observation has played a huge role since the falklands war.
    GPS guidance systems rely on an operational satellites in the theatre to operate.
    The US could disable the functionality of its GPS systems to the enemy, but still maintain its own.
    The US has had the technology to distroy satellites for some time. The USSR was thaught to be able to do that too, but it has never been proven.

China can now do it too. Should this become available to its allies, this could be a problem.

(below an intresting article on ASAT systems, and their history. Note that China was not part of the 83 treaty banning further development on ASAT.
    Dont just swallow the blue pill.

I think the World will have to worry more about Chinas ambitions than Iran in the near future. The Russians are selling shitloads of equipment to them. Might just blow up in their face later.

Comment

China's ASAT tech is quite basic and effective against sitting ducks like that old weather satellite they shot down. OTOH our latest recon birds have visual, radar and thermal stealth plus they can maneuver.

In the end this just adds impetus to the push for a "US Space Force" as outlined in the most recent space policy published a few months ago and supported by legislators on both sides of the aisle.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
      X