Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Papa' Denny Doherty dies

'Papa' Denny third from the left

Hard to believe that only Michelle Phillips is left.

Canadian lead singer for super-group Mamas and Papas was 66

January 19, 2007
    Canadian Press

Denny Doherty, the Canadian quarter of the 1960s folk-rock group the Mamas and the Papas, who were known for their soaring harmonies on hits like “California Dreamin’ ” and “Monday, Monday,” died today in Misssauga. He was 66.

His sister Frances Arnold said the singer-songwriter died at his home after a short illness.

The group burst on the international scene in 1966 with the top 10 smash “California Dreamin’.” The Mamas and the Papas broke new ground by having women and men in one group at a time when most singing groups were unisex. John Phillips, the group’s chief songwriter; his wife, Michelle; and another female vocalist, Cass Elliot, teamed with Doherty.

“Monday, Monday” hit No. 1 on the charts and won the band a Grammy for best contemporary group performance. Among the group’s other songs were “I Saw Her Again Last Night,’’ “Go Where You Wanna Go,’’ “Dancing Bear,” and versions of “I Call Your Name’’ and “Dedicated to the One I Love.’’

“What made the group special was their haunting and sumptuous harmony singing,” according to “The Rolling Stone Illustrated History of Rock & Roll.’’

In 1998, the Mamas and the Papas were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Doherty was inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame in 1996.
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps
Working...
X