Overclocking an opteron 165

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking an opteron 165

I've just bought myself a dual core opteron 165 to replace my old single core venice 3200. Now the venice was a lovely chip cabable of 2.7Ghz (2.0 stock) with a little help from some exrta Volts so I'm hopiing the 1.8Ghz opteron can similarly be overclocked so well.

Unofrtunately I have completely lost touch with how these socket 939 motherboards work. I recall having a FSB, hypertransprt bus, and a hypertransprt multiplier. My question is how is cpu clock speed related to both the FSB and hypertransport bus?
    Cheers,
    Will
    is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
    Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

The HT bus speed is independent of the CPU speed, I think.

The CPU speed is a multiple of the memory clock. I'm not sure what controls are usually in place to change it.

As for overclockability, there are at least two lot codes that are excellent - the CC1BE and CCBBE. If you search the web for Opteron CCBBE, you may get other "good" lotcodes. There are reports of people overclocking to the 3 GHz range.

- Steve

Comment

Almost. The CPU speed is a multiple of the Front Side Bus speed. The memory speed is a fraction of the FSB speed. HT speed is technically a separate thing, but depends on the motherboard's implementation for how much control you have.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat View Post
        Almost. The CPU speed is a multiple of the Front Side Bus speed. The memory speed is a fraction of the FSB speed. HT speed is technically a separate thing, but depends on the motherboard's implementation for how much control you have.
        Ah, ok.

I haven't tried overclocking my H8DCE + dual 285's yet (and don't plan to )

- Steve

Comment

Managed to get a good CCBBE stepping so I'm hoping for at least 2.6Ghz out of it which would be what my current venice can do, but with dual cores.

So the CPU multiplier is fixed, that means in order to take the clock up I must raise the FSB, however the memory is clocked from the FSB also so I must use a smaller divider for the memory when I take the FSB up.

As for HT, I think its also on a multiplier (would x4 sound correct?) and it doesn't like being overclocked so probably wise to reduce this to x3.

That all sounds familiar now, always dread going into the bios with a new chip and altering a million settings at once.
          Thanks for the info chaps.

Jut seen your specs in your sig wombat, very similar to my current machine. Had to pay quite a lot for the opteron at $175 but I should get about $70-80 for my old venice 3200 so the upgrade to dual core for $100 seems like a bargain, especially if it goes beyond 2.8Ghz, just thought I'd give you a heads up on how easy it *should* be to upgrade these things as I only found out myself a few days ago about these opterons.
          Last edited by borat; 21 January 2007, 12:35.
          is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
          Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

Working...
          X