Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sometimes it's best to just let it go and move on...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes it's best to just let it go and move on...

Two things:

I have a Computer CD case that holds about 60 CD/DVD's. I last used it about 2 weeks ago. I specifically remember taking out my WinXP CD and re-installing on my son's computer. For the last week I have been looking for the CD case with all of the CD/DVD's. I've been going crazy because it never leaves my desk, there is no reason for it to. I've looked everywhere like 30 times. I needed to find it because I am selling my Rebel XT on eBay and I said the original disks come with it. Well, yesterday, I was sitting at my desk trying really hard to think about where the damned things could have gone, when it suddenly dawned on me what probably happened.

A lot of you have seen the pics of my messy desk. There is stuff piled up, never any room to put anything down. So I think I put the CD case on top of all of the junk and it slid off into the garbage can and my son threw it away I could be wrong, but that is the only thing that makes sense. 60 CD/DVD's gone, just like that. *sigh* So now I need to extract the product key from Windows so I at least have those. I can then download a copy of XP and use that for now. I tried this program I have that used to show me the key, but it crashes now. Anybody know of any software for me to see my key or where I can find it in the registry or something?

The other thing is, Dreamhost, the web hosting company I was using for a while won't give me a refund because there service agreement says that don't refund Paypal accounts. If I would have known that, I would have used a Credit card. So they have basically stolen $170 from me. I wrote them a very nice but critical email about how I feel, but it doesn't make it any easier.

I just need to let both of these things go and move on.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Bleh on both counts. Why leave Dreamhost? I ask cause I use the for my stuff.
    Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

No bad reason for leaving, I just didn't really have time to work on the site anymore and learn CSS.
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I've got what you need. Gimme a little while to dig it out.
        FT.

Comment

Here you go: http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

It'll let you find, and change, the key in XP and Office. The file is kf151.zip, 260KB.
          FT.

Comment

Sweet, thanks!

Comment

Well what do you know, Dreamost refunded my money. Here is the email I wrote and their response:

Me:

To whom it may concern,

You are right, your TOS clearly says that no refunds will be given if I use anything other than a credit card or Google Checkout payments. Had I known that, I would not have used my Paypal account. One thing that I question though, in Javier's first email he says,

"Im sorry but we are not able to refund paypal payments, one of the
              reasons is because PayPal limits their refund system to 60 days. this is
              noted in the terms of service that we only refund credit card payments."

First it was I don't get a refund after 60 days and now it's I don't get a refund at all. Which is it? The second thing I'd like to point out is that I made an assumption(and we all know what happens when we assume) that if I cancel my service, the money would automatically be refunded to me like 100% of all of the other companies I've done business with in my 35 years of living. That's what I get for assuming.

And last, I've recommended dreamhost to many people and praised your service as well. Sadly it's not ending very well. I actually look at this like you are stealing $170 from me. So you win. I won't pursue this anymore. It's not worth anymore of my time. However, I will not recommend your company again.

David Hilliard

Them:

Due to these extenuating circumstances and our support/billing staff
              providing non-concurrent answers to you I went ahead and refunded the
              169.62 back to your Paypal account. I am really sorry for all the
              problems you suffered when trying to close your account and we are really
              sorry to see you leave our happy Dreamhost family.

So there you have it. They actually have a really good setup, which is why I was suprised on how it was ending, but in the end, they came through

Comment

Good news!!!! Glad to hear it. For the most part I've been pretty happy with them as a host so I did find that surprising.
                Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Going to echo Damian on this one, as I've been with Dreamhost since damn near the beginning and have had nothing but excellent service.

When it comes to billing I know they're more than willing to work with you, but sometimes you get a rep who either hasn't been there long or just wants to do the minimum, so you have to push the issue or such. It's never a good feeling when it comes to that, but the upper management generally does the right thing.

I'm actually a bit surprised about the differing responses regarding PayPal as they've had that issue before. *shrug*

Glad to hear you got things resolved.
                  “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Working...
                  X