Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APPLE Profit Rises 78%

January 17, 2007 article from MarketWatch: http://tinyurl.com/2g29jx

Apple posted a profit of $1 billion, or $1.14 a share, for the period ended Dec. 30, up from $565 million, or 65 cents, a year ago. Revenue rose 24.5% to $7.1 billion from $5.75 billion. The results beat the estimates of analysts surveyed by Thomson First Call, who expected Apple to earn 78 cents a share on revenue of $6.42 billion. Leading the charge for Apple was its line of iPods, with the company shipping 21 million of the market-leading devices during the quarter, a 50% jump from a year ago. Sales of the device accounted for $3.43 billion of the company's revenue, or nearly half the total. Apple's total number of iPod sales now stands at about 90 million units since the device first went on sale in October 2001. "After five years, the iPod is still going strong," said Shaw Wu, an analyst with American Technology Research. "It's still a very popular product." Wu holds a buy rating on Apple's stock. The results show that demand for Apple's products remains strong despite stepped-up competition from rivals such as Microsoft Corp., which is pushing hard to boost its share of the digital entertainment market with a new handheld media player and other consumer products. "The iPod sales were shocking," said Gene Munster, of Piper Jaffray. "And the earnings power of this company is reaching record levels." Macintosh computer sales also surged, rising 40% to $2.4 billion, while Mac shipments rose 28% to 1.61 million units, more than double the growth of the overall PC market. The Mac results were a slightly below many analysts forecasts, as several had expected Apple to sell between 1.75 million and 1.8 million Macs during the quarter.
    My next system will be an APPLE system.

Come to Papa.

Jerry Jones
    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

It's also nice to see an American corporation doing well for a change.

If only our automobile manufacturers could get their acts together.

Jerry Jones

Comment

Went to the North American Auto Show this week & they look to have made big inroads, especially GM.

Their Volt serial hybrid tech is nothing short of revolutionary (many auto journalists say all other hybrid techs are now obsolete) and the new Malibu was one of the hits of the show. Then there is the nice, if oddly proportioned, Cadillac CTS.

The new Camaro concept was quite nice and there are rumors of production. Fords Interceptor concept also looks like a production run waiting to happen, as does the Lincoln MKR.

Then there's the new Dodge Viper , with enhancements by McLaren, and the Avenger .
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 18 January 2007, 17:15.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

That new Volt does look fantastic:

Learn about discontinued Chevy cars, trucks, and SUVs. Explore new vehicles that carry on their legacy or search for Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles.

Introducing a new kind of electric vehicle — Concept Chevy Volt. It’s unlike any previous EV (electric vehicle), thanks to its innovative rechargeable electric drive system and range-extending power source. It can be configured to run on electricity, gasoline, E85 or biodiesel. So you have at least a couple of options for the most efficient drive — all made possible by GM’s innovative E-Flex Propulsion System.

Jerry Jones

Comment

hey doc, did you get to sit inside a Volt? seems to me that the windows and mirrors are small and would lead to huge blindspots.
          P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

They don't usually let you sit in concept cars, but from the look I had (CLOSE!!) it didn't look like mirrors & blindspots would be a problem.

That serial hybrid tech is going to sell a LOT of cars; 40+ mile no-gas range, 650 mile total range on a 12 gallon tank, the internal combustion engine can be a 1 liter gas or diesel, Wankel, gas turbine or whatever and no mechanical driveline between I/C and wheels. They can also replace the I/C with a fuel cell or a plug-in battery pack like the Tesla.

It's a VERY flexible system and from the way the guys at the show are talking;

1. that Volt body might go into production as a conventional car first.

2. they plan on using the Volt drive system in everything from econo-boxes to trucks.
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 18 January 2007, 17:52.
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

The Chevy Volt looks interesting. Just wait for the state Gov to start to tax the crap out of these cars as they don't pay any gasoline tax at the pump.. Anyone smell "Road user charges" or a creative GPS tax tracking system??
              paulw

Comment

Who edited the title of this thread?

Jerry Jones

Comment

*waves hand*
                  “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

How did you manage that?

I thought editing was only possible by the person who started the thread.

Jerry Jones

Comment

Originally posted by Jerrold Jones View Post
                      How did you manage that?

I thought editing was only possible by the person who started the thread.

Jerry Jones
                      http://www.jonesgroup.net
                      not when you have admin rights.
                      actually you can only edit the title for 5 mins after posting the thread.
                      admin has all the time in the world.

Just for clarity, i am the only person who as rights for canning anyone, as JW does most of the html around the site, he has non user Admin rights.
                      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Well, the act of editing the thread as he did struck me as a bit disturbing.

From a journalism background, I really question this kind of conduct as it would seem possible to create misunderstanding and -- possibly -- unnecessary conflict.

I mean, would he be pleased if I were to edit his posts to communicate outrageous messages?

I would appreciate it if he would cease and desist.

But at least I now know my passworld hasn't been stolen.

Jerry Jones

Comment

From a journalism background, I really question this kind of conduct as it would seem possible to create misunderstanding and -- possibly -- unnecessary conflict.

I mean, would he be pleased if I were to edit his posts to communicate outrageous messages?

Jerry Jones
                          Jerry,
                          While I appreciate your distubance, from a journalistic background, you should also be aware that one does not print obits in 'home and garden', nor does one financial results in the weekend sports pages.

I would appreciate it if you would at least post these types of threads into their correct forum, as opposed to posting everything in DV.
                          Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Jerry Jones
                            I do apologize. It was a simple joke in reference to how immediately off-topic the thread went (faster than is even normal here).

Honestly, after you learned I was the one who edited it, it would have been super if you'd just have PM'd me with your concerns. We're a community here, and while I thought what I did was in the spirit of what we have here, I certainly understand your objection to it. I would never edit an actual post/thread unless there was suitable reason to do so (as in it was against forums policies). To that end, I do not understand the harsh tone you've taken, but again, I apologize for the transgression.

As such, I have changed the title back.
                            Last edited by Jessterw; 20 January 2007, 16:14.
                            “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Thanks for your explanation and I now understand what happened and the harmless, good humor you intended.

Please know I did not realize you had admin rights so I was at first worried that somebody had hacked my password so I was a bit concerned, but you have eased my concern somewhat and I can appreciate the humor you intended.

Jerry Jones

Comment

Working...
                              X