Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

English language question: a number of + .... (singular or plural)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English language question: a number of + .... (singular or plural)

Hello,

Again a simple language question. If I start a sentence with "a number of ...", does the sentence continue in singular or in plural?

So: "a number of people are ..." or "a number of people is ..." ?

Thanks!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

are
    FT.

Comment

Just what I thought!
      (which makes it 2-0 for me )

Thanks!

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

are... but not becaue of 'numbers,' because of 'people.' People is the noun with which the plurality of the setence is modified by (probably not the correct terminology, but it sounded cool and is correct).
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

NP. Your English is better than most of the native speakers on here already
          FT.

Comment

@Jamm - if it wasn't a collective noun then you'd have to use a plural anyway. Eg 'a number of ducks are floating on the pond'.
            FT.

Comment

Aha... Well, the original sentence is
              "A number of properties are..."

Jörg
              pixar

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
                @Jamm - if it wasn't a collective noun then you'd have to use a plural anyway. Eg 'a number of ducks are floating on the pond'.

Ah, but that sentence is plural even without 'number'. "Ducks are floating in the pond." But you can't say the same thing with "number," as it is a verb (I think) in this case. Thus the phrase is plural due to the noun, as is the rule I'm told, and has nothing to do with the word 'number' itself.
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Not as simple as that. 'A number of ducks are floating on the pond' is plural. 'The number of ducks floating on the pond is up this year' is singular. It depends on whether it is the number or ducks which is the subject of the sentence. The number doesn't float, and the ducks aren't up this year. You must take it in context.
                  Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

In fact you could say "A number of ducks is floating on the water."

But it would mean that the ducks were formed into a number somehow.
                    This seems unlikely.
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

This is getting quackers.
                      FT.

Comment

The original sentence, "a number of ...", is requires are as the verb. The noun for that sentence is number while of starts the prepositional phrase.

If the sentence was:

A number of ducks are floating on the water.
                        The number of ducks is floating on the water.

Both sentences are correct due the usage of the article being indefinite (plural) or definite (singular).

Comment

Originally posted by dshumake View Post
                          The original sentence, "a number of ...", is requires are as the verb. The noun for that sentence is number while of starts the prepositional phrase.

If the sentence was:

A number of ducks are floating on the water.
                          The number of ducks is floating on the water.

Both sentences are correct due the usage of the article being indefinite (plural) or definite (singular).
                          Actually you'd never say "The number of ducks is floating on the water."

(Go ahead, try to contrive some complex ridiculous way in which that works...)

However, you are correct. "A number" in that case is a plural subject. "The number" would be a singular subject. "of ducks" is indeed a prepositional phrase.
                          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                          If only life were as easy as you
                          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                          If only life were as easy as you
                          I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                          X