corrupt fonts G200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• corrupt fonts G200

I switched my AMD-K6-2 333Mhz for a 380Mhz version, since then the fonts on my screen are corrupt. It seems like there's some digital noice in them. Sometimes they are clear, some other times they are unreadable. When your refresh the explorer screen pressing F5 some characters will change from corrupt to fine.
    I upgraded everything I could think of.
    mobo = Asus p5a-b, bios 1007
    AGP driver = 1.60e
    G200 bios = 2.6
    Powerdesk driver = 5.13
    I tried en/disabling AGPx2, no luck.
    All works fine however in safe mode or with the standard VGA driver. So it seems to be a driver problem.
    I can't seem to solve it. Anyone who can help me?

Thanks,

Walter

Something like that seems to happen to me too... every so often I just have corrupted fonts for no particular reason. It's a fast and dirty solution, but since I have a backup folder of my fonts (due to the common necessity of re-installing Windows), I just delete all the fonts in the Font folder and re-install.

First of all, if you didn't, try using the PD 5.13 uninstaller and then reinstall (standard 1st suggestion around here...)

Have you installed the Win9X patch for the K6-2 350 and above? Not quite sure what it does --but that would be just the kind of undocumented fix Microsoft tends to put in it's "updates"...and font corruption is such a root-level problem that I tend to also suspect Windows itself as well as the drivers..

I didn't install the patch because I have a K6-2 333 as you did, but I'm starting to suspect I need it even though my system is less than 350Mhz. Because of these little things like spontaneous font corruption. So if you do install it, let me know how (or if) it helped your system.

------------------
    the once and future motub

"...\Till the one day when the lady met this fellow\ And they knew that it was much more than a hunch.." What? System specs? Oh, yes, right...Soyo 5EMA, K6-2 333, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, Maxtor 7GB HDD, LS-120, Promise Ultra33 EIDE controller, Diamond Monster Sound MX300, HP 8100i CD-RW, Hi-Val (Nakamichi) 16X 5-disk CD changer, Win98 +SR1...oh yeah, and a Millennium G200 8MB SGRAM.

Comment

Actually, AFAIK, only Win95 needs this patch. I don't believe Win98 has this bug. At least, I haven't seen it.

Good luck.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Hi Walter

There's a new Asus bios out (1007 beta3) the final from the website is the same as beta2.
        <a href="ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/Socket_7/ALI_Chipset/ALI_V/P5A-B/">P5A-B FTP Site</a>

Sometimes I have this corrupted fonts too. For me it seems it will only happen when I go online.
        My System:
        Celeron 433
        Asus P2B-F (Bios: 1011beta1)
        Millenium G200 (PD:5.15/Bios:2.6)
        Win98 SE
        DX7 beta1
        Nothing OCed

Helmchen

Comment

DX7?? Where did that come from?
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

SOLVED IT!!
            Although the Matrox problem wizzard suggested using the latest driver, I went back to the certified 4.33 driver, and all problems were gone.
            However, I do believe this is a timing issue. When I overclocked the G200 the problems got less, also when I underclocked the CPU to 350Mhz the problems got less.
            Makes you think, not?

------------------
            Asus P5A-B, K6-380, 64Mb, AHA-2742, G200 8Mb, SB Live, 2x4.2Gb UW-SCSI, Plextor 32x CD, Archive Python 16Gb DAT, Win98

Comment

Hi Wombat

I've looked for information about it and on one of those beta Sites (like www.winbeta.de) was a download link (both dead now). If you find it somewhere else, be aware that it has a timelimit: after 31. July you will be remembered to update everytime you usa a ddraw function, so be sure to get the patch too (included in my zip).

Helmchen

Comment

Working...
              X