X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ball lightning solved?

I sure hope so.

My experiences from my farm boy days are that it definitely exists

Eerie ball lightning could soon lose its mystery status, thanks to electrifying Brazilian research

Synthetic ball lightning created in Brazil;

>
    A more down-to-earth theory, proposed by John Abrahamson and James Dinniss at the University of Canterbury in Christchurch, New Zealand, is that ball lightning forms when lightning strikes soil, turning any silica in the soil into pure silicon vapour. As the vapour cools, the silicon condenses into a floating aerosol bound into a ball by charges that gather on its surface, and it glows with the heat of silicon recombining with oxygen.

To test this idea, a team led by Antônio Pavão and Gerson Paiva from the Federal University of Pernambuco in Brazil took wafers of silicon just 350 micrometres thick, placed them between two electrodes and zapped them with currents of up to 140 amps. Then over a couple of seconds, they moved the electrodes slightly apart, creating an electrical arc that vaporised the silicon.

The arc spat out glowing fragments of silicon but also, sometimes, luminous orbs the size of ping-pong balls that persisted for up to 8 seconds. "The luminous balls seem to be alive," says Pavão. He says their fuzzy surfaces emitted little jets that seemed to jerk them forward or sideways, as well as smoke trails that formed spiral shapes, suggesting the balls were spinning. From their blue-white or orange-white colour, Pavão's team estimates that they have a temperature of roughly 2000 kelvin. The balls were able to melt plastic, and one even burned a hole in Paiva's jeans.

These are by far the longest-lived glowing balls ever made in the lab. Earlier experiments using microwaves created luminous balls, but they disappeared milliseconds after the microwaves were switched off (New Scientist, 11 February 2006, p 16).
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Very interesting!
    Never seen it myself.
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

One of my experiences was published on USATODAY.com 3 years ago;

Story....

though she reworded the story a bit

I had originally posted the story to a science site and she copied it from there.

Found it on USATODAY.com quite by accident.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Back in the 70's they did a similar experiment and created ball lightning when shorting out the entire array of batteries from a submarine. These balls lasted longer than a mere 6 seconds and were around ~4" in diameter. This conjecture of silicon being the mysterious material that allows ball lightning phenomenon to occur is interesting but imho poppycock.
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

With the ridiculous amount of energy in a bolt of lightning... could be that plenty of materials will ball up...
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
          X