Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent math problem: integral in 2D space

Hello,

I have an urgent problem that has surfaced during one of the final proofreadings of my phd text. It is just a matter of notation though, but needs to be resolved soon.

Suppose one is working in the two-dimensional real space (R square). In this space I have a conxex subset A.
    How can I express the surface area of this convex subset as an integral over the points in A?

(the discussion is about single or double integral, and about what is the expression to be integrated)

Thanks!

Jorg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Wouldn't it be an integral over the points defining the boundarys of A not the points in A?

An area is given by a single integral.
      Or the sum of single integrals if both lower and upper bound of the area you want are not on the x axis. (if I recall correctly)

Not sure how anyone but you would know what expression is to be integrated though.
      (is the expression to be integrated not the expression of the boundaries of A?)

Maybe I don't understand the question.

PS Nice quickie on wikipedia
      Last edited by cjolley; 10 January 2007, 12:40.
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

mmm:
        I wasn't looking for the answer to life, the universe and everything.

cjolley:
        Nope, you understand perfectly.
        The problem is that the points that make up the outline of A are not known (no mathematical equation that binds them).

The origination for the double integral came from my promotor, but at present it is unclear to me why (but it may have given an idea).
        Thanks,

Jorg
        pixar

Comment

You can set up a double integral when your area is defined as a function of two variables, as long as you can somehow find a relation between the two variables, even if that relation is different on each border.

Last edited by Wombat; 10 January 2007, 14:34.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Do the points define a line of some sort or are the just scattered around?
            After all, the area under a bunch of unrelated points would be 0 because the area under each point would be 0.
            The area has to be under a line or between two lines.

I mean you could just do the rectangles:

(p2x - p1x)((p1y + p2y)/2) +
            (p3x - p2x)((p2y + p3y)/2) +
            (p4x - p3x)((p3y + p4y)/2) +

That would define sort of the "average" area.
            Maybe there is a general form for that.
            Of course it uses algebra and not calculus.
            Though, I suppose if you add summation/limit symbols it's really just the definition of an integral.

If your promoter wants you to do some sort of curve fitting thing and take the integral of that, well that's way beyond me.

@Wombat but it's supposed to be in a plane, I don't see how a volume equation can help.
            Or why his promoter would bring up the idea (which is the main reason I worry I don't really understand the problem)
            Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

How about this:

Numerically, the surface area of A is equal to the volume below a constant function which is 1 at all points p in A (basically a volume with the same convex set as surface and with height 1).

So I'm now thinking that if I were to consider the double integral over "all points p in A" of the function "1", with "dp"...
              Wouldn't this be a formula that represents the numerical value I'm looking for?

Jorg
              Last edited by VJ; 10 January 2007, 14:33.
              pixar

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
                How about this:

Numerically, the surface area of A is equal to the volume of a 3D volume with the same convex set as surface and with height 1.

So I'm now thinking that if I were to consider the double integral over "all points p in A" of the function "1", with "dp"...
                Wouldn't this be a formula that represents the numerical value I'm looking for?

Jorg
                Umm. would that make the original integral (the area) the derivative of fx = 1 and therefor = 0?

PS Come to think of it, how can you know it is convex if you don't have an equation describing the points?
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

The set A is defined elsewhere, and is defined to be convex (and without holes). As the points are not isolated, randomly distruted, the surface area is greater than 0.

Jorg
                  pixar

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
                    The set A is defined elsewhere, and is defined to be convex (and without holes). As the points are not isolated, randomly distruted, the surface area is greater than 0.

Jorg

I think I see what you mean, but I can't figure out how to get it input.

The double integral across your area (region) with f(x,y) = 1?
                    Last edited by cjolley; 10 January 2007, 15:34.
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Yes, that is what I'm currently thinking about.

The result appears to yield what I want, and I think that notation can be used. (the required correcgions to my work are also minimal :-))

Jorg
                      pixar

Comment

42 still makes more sense to me.
                        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I just came across this:
                          For a scalar function f over a surface parameterized by u and v, the surface integral is given by Phi = int_Sfda (1) = int_Sf(u,v)|T_uxT_v|dudv, (2) where T_u and T_v are tangent vectors and axb is the cross product. For a vector function over a surface, the surface integral is given by Phi = int_SF·da (3) = int_S(F·n^^)da (4) = int_Sf_xdydz+f_ydzdx+f_zdxdy, (5) where a·b is a dot product and n^^ is a unit normal vector. If z=f(x,y), then da is given explicitly by ...

where the first integral in formula 1 basically also expresses the surface area (this resembles my initial notation). So hopefully my promotor agrees with this notation (in which case I need to change nothing).

Jörg
                          pixar

Comment

I think you should use the double derivative on the triple integral over one second with a height of 1 across a region defined by your points.

But I hope she accepts your proposed notation.
                            Chuck
                            秋音的爸爸

Comment

I think the double integral as proposed this morning stands a better chance of becoming accepted...

But thanks for the input!
                              (it helped me organize things in my mind )

Jörg
                              pixar

Comment

Working...
                              X