Vista = $$$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista = $$$

So according to pricing information on Microsoft's website, a full copy of Vista looks like it will go for between $200 and $400, depending on which flavor you get.

Me, I just want the fancy Aero interface, and a couple of things like that.

Now, the upgrades are about $100 cheaper each, but The last copy of Windows I have is '98...i somehow doubt that will count as an upgradeable version.

So basically what I need to know is, how can I not pay $200-$400 for a legit CD w/ a unique key?

Microsoft has in the past given out free copies to resellers.. I have gotten several that way . get yourself a part time job at best buy and see if that will get you one :P

there is also the microsoft actionpack subscribtion, which should give you 10 unique keys for ~$300-$400.. find someone who qualifies to buy it and see if you can get a key for cheap from them.
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Tjalfe seems to have the right idea. Go to Microsoft.com/events. and look for either launch events or system builder training events in your area. The events are usually free to attend, you get fed, and it's common that they give out free licenses at those things. I think that they are also giving out free copies of Office 2007 at some events.
      P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

MS is giving out "special gifts to the first 250 MCPs" at launch event, so if you have any MS certs you may end up with a a copy. MS was also giving out copies at powertogether.com but they sold out in like 2 days.

Beyond that your best bet is getting a job with someone that has a contract w/ MS for cheap home versions (I can get Office 2k3 for $20, but XP is OEM prices for retail boxes.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Tjalfe View Post
          ...there is also the microsoft actionpack subscribtion
          That will come with Vista but which versions, I'm guessing probably just the business versions as they did with XP, i.e Pro but not Home
          When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

yes, seems to be Vista Business

Comment

Microsoft has in the past given out free copies to resellers.. I have gotten several that way . get yourself a part time job at best buy and see if that will get you one :P

there is also the microsoft actionpack subscribtion, which should give you 10 unique keys for ~$300-$400.. find someone who qualifies to buy it and see if you can get a key for cheap from them.
              What would qualify someone for an actionpack subscription?

Comment

Attend a Launch Event and Receive Office 2007 FREE!
                P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

being a reseller, or making them believe that you are
                  try signing up for one yourself and see if you hit any problems
                  We’re sorry. We can’t find the page you were looking for.

edit:
                  officially the keys can only be activated twice each.. have not tried to see what happens after that

Comment

Originally posted by schmosef View Post
                    Tjalfe seems to have the right idea. Go to Microsoft.com/events. and look for either launch events or system builder training events in your area. The events are usually free to attend, you get fed, and it's common that they give out free licenses at those things. I think that they are also giving out free copies of Office 2007 at some events.
                    Think this one will get me a free copy? Atlantic City is 15 mins away...

Comment

Good find, but Office 2007 would only be worth getting it to resell.

Comment

being a reseller, or making them believe that you are
                        try signing up for one yourself and see if you hit any problems
                        We’re sorry. We can’t find the page you were looking for.

edit:
                        officially the keys can only be activated twice each.. have not tried to see what happens after that
                        Before I fill this out, what info does this require?

If all you need is a business license, I could sign up with them and help out anyone from here who needed Vista.

Comment

Get yourself a Technet Plus subscription. It's $499, but you get access to the ENTIRE MS software library. Fantastic deal if you ask me.
                          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Get employed by a University using the SELECT agreement.

Then as long as you ONLY use the software for work purposes (!) you can have most MS stuff. My form for Vista and Office 2007 is on its way now.
                            FT.

Comment

Ah, be happy you live in the US, Microsoft is really ****ing us Europeans over, twice, maybe even three times...

Prices ranging from from 290 euro ($375) for the cheapest Home Basic version, to 570 Euro for the retail Ultimate edition, which comes down to about 735 US dollars...
                              Last edited by knirfie; 16 January 2007, 01:58.
                              Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

Working...
                              X