The Glaze3D Frame Buffer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Glaze3D Frame Buffer

The Glaze3D has 9Mb embedded DRAM Frame Buffer.....

In the FiringSquad article they say that the advantage of the eDRAM is lost at res. higher than 10x7x32.....

So what do you people think?

Thanks.

http://www.firingsquad.com/features/...ph99/page5.asp

But that was Glaze3D 1200 which is the cheapest model. I wonder if 2400/4800 will have more of it.

Anyhow it can be argued if anyone needs to play with resolutions higher that 1024.
    It also should be remembered that 1024+ resolutions will still use that eDRAM, which G400 has none. So no matter how little there is of it if everyone else has less.

B

Comment

I think the 2400 has 18Mb since its 2 1200 chips (2*9Mb(1200)) and the 4800 has 36Mb (4*9Mb (1200)).

If there is a need for more than 9Mb frame Buffer then the buffer will spill into main memory. Therefore I think the eDRAM will help in speeding up things but I dont how the total performance hit might be for this spill over.

Comment

That's what I was after too.
        However I didn't get a clear confirmation to this from www.bitboys.fi

Anyway if their promise of Q3 running 200fps on 1200 is even close, think of what the 4800 can do. Especially because it has geometry processor on it!

B

Comment

Oi! I just read a small article about Bitboys and this guy Mika Tuomi said that when they tried to sell Glaze3D technical papers to North American companies last year they encountered heavy scepticism, like how can a small team from "Russia" come up with such a papers if American companies cannot produce such themselves.

Oi! Racist bastards! If Glaze3D is going to be even half of what it's expected to be it still would have come cheaper for a company like Matrox or ATI to buy the papers..

BTW. Infineon (www.infineon.com) will manufactor the actual chips.

B

[This message has been edited by Buuri (edited 08-11-1999).]

Comment

They are Canadian companies....I think the scepticism came from the previous problems the individuals had with their previous endeavors. I seriously doubt race were an issue. Maybe uncertainty about russia's economy, but racism.....

Rags

Comment

I was referring to "North American companies" and forgot "North" on the second time.. I know they are Canadian.

But the thing is that Bitboys is a Finnish company and bringing Russia up is just stupidity/ignorance/lack of knowledge.

B

Comment

Working...
              X