Talk About Cool: APPLE's iPhone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk About Cool: APPLE's iPhone

Discover the innovative world of Apple and shop everything iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, Mac, and Apple TV, plus explore accessories, entertainment, and expert device support.

Gorgeous.

I want one.

Jerry Jones
    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Mmmmm . Nice interface. Not sure about watching TV and a small screen. Won't be down our part of the world until 2008 so I here. I don't think the local GSM telco will want to see it anytime soon if it can download stuff from iTunes. At present they make a killing from their proprietry and expensive music downloads.
    Surprised that it's not full 3G GSM at it's release..
    paulw

Comment

Originally posted by paulw View Post
      Mmmmm . Nice interface. Not sure about watching TV and a small screen. Won't be down our part of the world until 2008 so I here. I don't think the local GSM telco will want to see it anytime soon if it can download stuff from iTunes. At present they make a killing from their proprietry and expensive music downloads.
      Surprised that it's not full 3G GSM at it's release..
      Probably per singulars request...
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I suspect that might change with its release into Asia, especially given that Japan is an ever increasing market for Apple.
        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Jesse and I spoke about this yesterday.
          My phone has music player - will play normal mp3's downloaded from the pc, has built in credit card, video phone, 4Mp camera, java, lots of other things.
          Music lives on a mini SD card, any size is fine.
          Next model up from my phone also has full GPS.
          all for just over $300 in the local.

the iPhone is cool, and had my co-worker going 'squee' (you have to know her to understand ) but unless it's fleshed out much more then it is now, just won't sell.

just for reference - my current phone
          Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq View Post
            Jesse and I spoke about this yesterday.
            My phone has music player - will play normal mp3's downloaded from the pc, has built in credit card, video phone, 4Mp camera, java, lots of other things.
            Music lives on a mini SD card, any size is fine.
            Next model up from my phone also has full GPS.
            all for just over $300 in the local.

the iPhone is cool, and had my co-worker going 'squee' (you have to know her to understand ) but unless it's fleshed out much more then it is now, just won't sell.

just for reference - my current phone
            http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english/p...2is/index.html
            Not a bad phone. What tech?? The PDF implied it was W-CDMA..
            paulw

Comment

It's going to sell, I think.

But I also believe this is just the first of many different models... just as we first saw the original iPod and then the follow-up with all kinds of different iPod models.

I just bought the tiny new Shuffle and love it so far.

But the phone is more than a phone.

The screen is pretty decent as far as size is concerned and I suspect this is going to be a phone and a personal media player and a TV and... yes... I think it's going to really change the way people engage in MOBILE COMMUNICATION.

Jerry Jones

Comment

Originally posted by paulw View Post
                Not a bad phone. What tech?? The PDF implied it was W-CDMA..
                CDMA based, I forget the varient, Japan has its own system that is pretty well incompatable with anything else.

It does appear to be a sybian based OS.

Jerry, yes, I think they will expand it out as well. This first gen will be for the first adoptors, but it still has a ways to catch up.
                Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Remember this post where I reported that Cisco had announced a Linksys product named "iPhone"?

Product page....

Cisco has owned the name "iPhone" since purchasing it from the original registrant in 2000. Now Cisco is suing apple in US federal court for trademark infringement;

April 3 (UPI) — A 2007 Ferrari F430 F1 Coupe once owned by Donald Trump sold at an event in Florida for $270,000, the Auctions America group said.

"Cisco entered into negotiations with Apple in good faith after Apple repeatedly asked permission to use Cisco's iPhone name," said Mark Chandler, Cisco senior vice president and general counsel, in a statement. "There is no doubt that Apple's new phone is very exciting, but they should not be using our trademark without our permission."

Cisco is seeking injunctive relief to prevent Apple from copying Cisco's iPhone trademark.

"Today's iPhone is not tomorrow's iPhone. The potential for convergence of the home phone, cell phone, work phone and PC is limitless, which is why it is so important for us to protect our brand," Chandler added.
                  IMO Apple is screwed.
                  Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 10 January 2007, 17:59.
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Interesting given Cisco was to license the name to Apple. Sounds like they're getting pissy that Apple announced the phone before the deal was done. Odd that they allude to the licensing talks but then do the same towards saying it would never happen.

Apple may be screwed out of the name, but I'm going to bet they have other names they can use.
                    Last edited by Jessterw; 10 January 2007, 18:04.

Comment

That AP headline was from 6 PM EST this evening. Something change since then?
                      Dr. Mordrid
                      ----------------------------
                      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Oh, I doubt this is going to amount to much.

These types of lawsuits are filed all the time.

They often just go away quietly... after a few dollars exchange hands, of course.

Jerry Jones

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                          That AP headline was from 6 PM EST this evening. Something change since then?
                          Sorry, you caught me editing

Noticed the date a bit late and was referring to news from yesterday:
                          A representative of Cisco Systems, which acquired the iPhone trademark by way of its Linksys division having acquired Infogear in 2000, told BetaNews this afternoon that it is offering to license i…

Apparently they never received any signed agreements from Apple as they expected to with the keynote announcement.

Comment

Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Going back to what Dan was talking about in his first reply:

Apple's much-anticipated iPhone is 'business as usual' in a country where mobile features already are so advanced.

Comment

Working...
                              X