Desktop fabricator may kick-start home revolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desktop fabricator may kick-start home revolution

Science news and long reads from expert journalists, covering developments in science, technology, health and the environment on the website and the magazine.

I first saw this on slashdot.

I've always wanted one of these.

I'm going to look into making one.
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Me want
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

This looks like the project home page: http://www.fabathome.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Comment

Dan and I were just discussing these and we'd both like to see a more stable setup that offers better precision and control (among other things), but these are still pretty cool and a definite step in the right direction.

At my last job I got a chance to play with more industrial versions on a few projects. Small shop just south of here has a nice setup and machine that we used to do prototypes with. Would love to have one of those in my garage
        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Add a cheap 3-D laser scanner and start copying things. I could have used one last week when the drive cog on a food-processor liquidiser attachment snapped in two.
          FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
            Add a cheap 3-D laser scanner and start copying things. I could have used one last week when the drive cog on a food-processor liquidiser attachment snapped in two.
            You didn't have the right gear? Wouldn't it be easier to get a replacement gearwheel from the maker?
            Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

It needed a whole new base (the glass bowl was still ok), costing around £20. Its an OLD Kenwood Chef (701 series) and they don't make them like that any more - very heavily built. I don't see the new part lasting anywhere near as long as the old one.

OK, you'd need an awful lot of broken cogs before it became more cost effective to make your own, but that's not always the point. I bet if a lot of photo printer owners did the maths based on their actual usage they'd find they were better off using a printing service.
              FT.

Comment

Ha - funny you mention that Tony - our 35+ year old Kenwood Chef broke as well over Christmas - one of the gears I think - we asked at the local (traditional) electritical shop, and they definitely agreed that we should do anything we possibly could to fix it - they last pretty much forever if you take care of them, and the newer ones have the built-in obsalescence that makes more business sense for the manufacturers (and no, I'm not being sarcastic).
                DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I'm with you there.

Partsmaster do a lot of the more common bits for them (seals etc), but eBay came to our rescue this time.

That was actually my parents machine. We just replaced my wifes food processor of 15 years old (also a Kenwood) with a new Kenwood (FP720 or something like that). It was reduced to £70. What we liked about it was the fact that it is still top-drive, so no giant shaft up the middle of your mixing bowl, just a little stub at the bottom to centre the tool. It also weighs a reasonable amount and the liquidizer is glass and the mixing bowl appears pretty sturdy. It has some storage built in for the various chopping blades, but you still need plenty of drawer space for the rest of the attachments.
                  FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessterw View Post
                    Dan and I were just discussing these and we'd both like to see a more stable setup that offers better precision and control (among other things), but these are still pretty cool and a definite step in the right direction.

At my last job I got a chance to play with more industrial versions on a few projects. Small shop just south of here has a nice setup and machine that we used to do prototypes with. Would love to have one of those in my garage
                    One thing I'm not clear on, and I'm hoping that you can explain JW, is whether these machines could possibly fab a part that goes from a thin vertical shape to a wide horizontal shape. For example, could it fab a 3D capital letter "T"? Would you have to fab the T upside down? If so, what about a shape that was wide at the top and bottom but narrow in the middle? Is that not possible? What kind of mods would have to be made to make it possible?

Comment

try this wiki page for some of those answers...
                      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Looks very interesting.
                        Once I see a fairly stable design I would definetly look at building one - probably out of aluminum for more rigidity, and adding servos instead of steppers - for better accuracy.
                        Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Originally posted by schmosef View Post
                          One thing I'm not clear on, and I'm hoping that you can explain JW, is whether these machines could possibly fab a part that goes from a thin vertical shape to a wide horizontal shape. For example, could it fab a 3D capital letter "T"? Would you have to fab the T upside down? If so, what about a shape that was wide at the top and bottom but narrow in the middle? Is that not possible? What kind of mods would have to be made to make it possible?

I'm not sure on how good this toy is but I've seen many of those real 3D printers in action in the last several years.
                          Let me put it this way, in the emergency room they have a patient with crashed jaw for example. Few 3D x-rays later and several hours on the printer, the surgeon is holding in his hand the actual (crashed!) jaw, so he can think of what he’s going to do after he cuts thru the skin…. .

Great stuff.
                          Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq View Post
                            try this wiki page for some of those answers...
                            http://www.fabathome.org/wiki/index....position_Tools
                            I didn't see anything specifically answering my questions on that page.

I infer that the approach with the most shape flexibility is the "lasers/submersion in liquid plastic" approach. Am I correct?

I'm specifically asking about high end 3D printers. How do they accomplish complex shapes?

Comment

Originally posted by ND66 View Post
                              I'm not sure on how good this toy is but I've seen many of those real 3D printers in action in the last several years.
                              Let me put it this way, in the emergency room they have a patient with crashed jaw for example. Few 3D x-rays later and several hours on the printer, the surgeon is holding in his hand the actual (crashed!) jaw, so he can think of what he’s going to do after he cuts thru the skin…. .

Great stuff.
                              That sounds amazing.

Comment

Working...
                              X