Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baffled now how this happened???

My Credit card has been comprimised.

I don't use it shops I don't even know the pin number for it so looking over the shoulder job is out of the question.

Anything that comes with my number on is shredded unless I need to keep it.

Double checking my machine for virus's and spyware but it was clean a couple of days ago.

The first thing I knew about a problem was when I tried to order online and it was refused.

So I decided to check my bill online just in case something odd was happening and although I could login it said no details available for this card.

I rang Barclaycard up and for this month several small unknown payments to Itunes and Yahoo Companies I don't use at all. A larger payment which to another company I never heard off.

I haven't used any other machines to order anything online for sometime so to me it looks like an insider job.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Happened to me last year. A credit card - no pin (forgotten) - started to be used for transactions in the states. becasue the card was 'dead' to me, it had gone on for 3 months before I spotted it.

Started off in month 1 with micro-payments (Itoons etc).

Month 2 with about £200.....

Month 3 they made PAYMENTS!!!! (about £500 in 3 lodgements )- then withdrews hundreds of £.....

Weid thing was that it was a cahoot card - online you use a 'virtual card' with them (they issue you with a one-use number for any transactions online.....)

I have NO IDEA how they got it - and it never happened again.....

Cahoot sorted it out....
    Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

It's possible they just used a credit card number generator and eventually got lucky (unluckily for you.)

Comment

To use it online they'd also need my name and it's rather uncommon infact very uncommon.

I still feel it's an inside job as these do happen as well.

Friend of mine at work who foolishly uses a debit card online was contacted by his bank becuase his card was doing loads of transactions. They issued a new card and striaght away money went out off that. They then had to close his account down completly and issue him a new one.
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

We only use cash cards for online purchases.

We select the items, place them in the cart(s) but don't check out. I write down the total, go up the street to our bank and get a cash card in that amount (free service - valid Master Card #'s). Go home, check out & toss the now empty card and printed receipt(s) in the monthly records.

Advantages: not linked to our accounts and if the purchase/seller is problematic MC and the bank will pursue it.

The real credit/debit card is only used at ATM's (with care: I know what the ATM hacks look like) and the brick & mortars we shop at regularly and they all have terminals - no more card impressions in these parts.

Otherwise it's cash only.
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 January 2007, 16:15.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Well theres one thing I ain't spending any money at the moment. I hope nothing breaks in the meantime.
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
            X