MacWorld 2007 - Apple TV, iPhone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MacWorld 2007 - Apple TV, iPhone

For the few Mac fans here, MacWorld is in gear and Steve Jobs' keynote starts in just under 10 minutes (0900 PST). There are a lot of expectations and rumours floating around with this one (more so than the most recent past keynotes), but I've decided to not expect much*. There's not been near as many cool announcements or products from third-parties as there was at CES, from what I've seen.

Anyhow, MacRumors.com is running a live update with photos here:

When it's all said and done I'll post any worthwhile new products or 'exciting' announcements made.

*Hoping an announcement will be made regarding Leopard (10.5) and it's 'new' resolution-independent UI.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Originally posted by Jessterw View Post
    When it's all said and done I'll post any worthwhile new products or 'exciting' announcements made.
    Nice, thanks!
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

As they are shown:
      • Movies from Paramount to be available on the iTunes Store
      • Apple TV - features USB2, Ethernet, 802.11 B/G/N, HDMI, RCA Component, 720p HD, 40GB HDD, Auto-sync with Mac PC, streaming and local storage, QuickTime Trailers, more - Ships in February (can order today) - $299
      • iPhone - features widescreen touch-screen with stylus, OS X, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, WiMax (soon?), GSM, EDGE, quad-band, proximity and orientation sensors, visual voicemail, iChat-esque SMS, free IMAP E-mail via Yahoo, nice Google Maps integration - Available exclusively via Cingular in US, ships in June (Europe 4th Quarter, Asia 2008) - 4GB $499, 8GB $599
      • Name change from Apple Computer, Inc. to just Apple, Inc.

Apple has definitely increased its level of participation with Google and Yahoo (heads from both came onstage).

No news concerning Leopard, Apple likely saving that for the developer conference.
      Last edited by Jessterw; 9 January 2007, 12:42.

Comment

OK, I officially NEED an iPhone, and I think I'm gonna sell my tablet and get a MB to be able to sync... well OK.. slow down.. one step after the other...

But seeing as how I still don't own a mp3 player (don't care for having to toss a handbag for all those gadgets - one is enough) and will need a replacement for my Nokia 7280 soonish...
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Well one thing's for sure, if the iPhone works as smoothly as it looks and sounds like it does, then smart phone vendors are going to double-up on their efforts.

Comment

iPhone even runs a scaled down OS X. Pretty kool, but I bet the price will be steep!
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Yup, I'm following the show via http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/l...-jobs-keynote/ the iPhone looks awesome at first sight, price could be very steep though it looks like a pda, gsm, mini-ipod solution.

Already 1.5h, and still no news about Leopard etc .
              Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
              Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
              Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

499$ for the 4gb version 599$ for the 8gb version shipping date June 2007 end 2007 for europe.
                Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Apple is no longer Apple Computer, Inc. - now just Apple, Inc.

Things should be winding down now, unless Jobs pulls a "one more thing..."

Comment

Originally posted by KeiFront View Post
                    499$ for the 4gb version 599$ for the 8gb version shipping date June 2007 end 2007 for europe.

Those are the price "with" the purchase of a 2-year contract! OUCH! Until the price drops it will be a luxury item, but once the R&D money is earned back, production costs lessen, and others start making competing products (maybe not *AS* cool, but competitive and cheaper, like a response from MS), then I can see it coming down to acceptable levels.

But yeah, all the non-Cingular US cell phone carriers are now sh*tting bricks.

Comment

When you consider who it's from (never going to get low-cost there) and the fact that it's far more than just an iPod or a smart phone, the cost isn't surprising.

But you're right, it's definitely a luxury item at this point and aimed at what might be a niche market until adoption picks up and prices go down.

As an aside, the Apple web site is now updated.

Edit: Apple also released a new version of it's AirPort Extreme Base Station (wireless router). Notably, on that and the Apple TV product (as well as others), they are heavily promoting that the products work with Macs and PCs. That, along with the name change, indicates an interesting shift in Apple as a company...

Well that's it for me. Work is in 2.5 hours and I need a nap.
                      Last edited by Jessterw; 9 January 2007, 12:48.

Comment

Holy cow! Apple stock is up $6!!!!! They're going to hit $100 a share today or tomorrow I bet.

Powerful. Beautiful. Durable. Check out the new iPhone 15 Pro, iPhone 15 Pro Max, iPhone 15, and iPhone 15 Plus.

Comment

Originally posted by KeiFront View Post
                          Don't forget that Cingular apparently has a 2-year exclusive agreement with Apple.
                          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I'd buy both the AppleTV and the Iphone. The IPhone is much better looking than I imagined. Have you guys seen how the multi-touch screen works? It's amazing. Check it out: http://www.apple.com/iphone/
                            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat View Post
                              Don't forget that Cingular apparently has a 2-year exclusive agreement with Apple.
                              I got no idea what Apple will do in Europe, we got a lot of different mobile operators and in some european countries exclusive agreements are forbidden (Belgium included).

I'm disappointed about the lack of Leopard news, but the iPhone looks great at first sight.

Comment

Working...
                              X