Dimmable Fluorescents with electgronic ballasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimmable Fluorescents with electgronic ballasts

I just installed some indirect lighting in my parents' kitchen and thought I'd share some of the knowledge I've gained from this, since I certainly didn't know such a thing as dimmable fluorescent tube existed.

So we all know fluorescent tubes. They provide a lot of light and draw relatively low power, their light has an awful color (and color rendition), they flicker, they don't come on instantly, sometimes the ballast hums. I thought so, too. But actually modern fluorescent tubes come in nice warm white tones with quite good color rendition (Just don't get the cheapest ones). There are electronic ballasts which remove the flicker, make the tubes come on almost instantly, lengthen their life by 10%, cut power draw by 10% while providing the same light output, don't hum, just switch the tubes off when they fail (so no flickering and trying to come on all the time), and there are even dimmable ones.

Some of these are controlled via installation buses, which was of no interest to me, but others are controlled via 1-10V control (almost like the 0-10V lighting control for stage lights etc.). They provide a low current 10V voltage. If the full 10V get fed back to them, they dim the lamps to their lowest level, if none-1V is fed back to them, the lamps are fully lit (so if you just leave the dimmer controls unconnected, the lamps will work at 100%). Controlling this couldn't be easier: Just put a 100k log potentiometer (connect the left and middle (wiper) pin of the pot together) between dimmer out and in, and you're done.

I wouldn't have thought it to be this easy, and you can find electronic ballasts for cheap on ebay (though dimmable ones not so much). My parents now have nice, cosy and yet bright and glare-free light in their kitchen. Nice surprise for when they return from their vacation tonight
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

My studio & keying lights are Kino-Flo photo-flourescents with anti-flicker/dimming ballasts. Definitely the way to go, but 4' bulbs run $22 - $48 each

Kino-Flo site....
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 January 2007, 12:02.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

You can get full-spectrum T8 fluos for much less from aquarium dealers etc. You won't have the added "hi-tech" price inflation (like audiophiles or tech geeks of all fashions like to pay...)
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I use dimmable T5 tubes for my marine tank
        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

All tube lights in the auditoria of our university are dimmable. This allows one to dim the lights to make a projection easier to read.
          In one auditorium there are multiple circuits that can be switched on/off, to allow shut off the lights closer to the projector. There also is one auditorium where the dimmer is by means of buttons, and where there are a number of preset buttons (dim to 25%, 50%, 75%) next to the buttons to dim manually.

Jörg
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by az View Post
            You can get full-spectrum T8 fluos for much less from aquarium dealers etc. You won't have the added "hi-tech" price inflation (like audiophiles or tech geeks of all fashions like to pay...)
            It's not all tech inflation, it's the spectrum especially with the blue, red and green keying lights.
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Think he's refering to the dealers of such items normally charge an arm and a leg because they specialize in those products Doc. Sadly here in the US even pet stores charge way too much for such things.

Kinda like the 12v 20w quartz halogen bulb for my desk light I got a few days ago @ Home Depot. $7ea+tax for the bloody thing when you can get a desklight with the same for $14. Excessive pricing for such a nominal thing that is mass produced by the millions.
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe View Post
                Think he's refering to the dealers of such items normally charge an arm and a leg because they specialize in those products Doc. Sadly here in the US even pet stores charge way too much for such things.

Kinda like the 12v 20w quartz halogen bulb for my desk light I got a few days ago @ Home Depot. $7ea+tax for the bloody thing when you can get a desklight with the same for $14. Excessive pricing for such a nominal thing that is mass produced by the millions.
                Kinda like batteries.
                A 2032 3V battery will cost here between $3-$5 from a retailer like Radio Shack with all the fancy packaging.
                Or I can buy them for about $0.35 from Digikey
                Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

or perhaps Cables from e.g. bestbuy/futureshop versus online
                  We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Working...
                  X