DVD+/-R discs recognised as CD-ROM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD+/-R discs recognised as CD-ROM

I'm getting the above problem in an XP machine (fairly old XP2000, VIA chipset). The drive works perfectly well if transfered (even with its IDE cable) to my NF3 machine.

I removed all installed apps with no change, so I've just done a reformat, and all thats on there is XP fully patched, Office fully patched and a/v is going on now, and the problem remains

Any ideas please? The drive is a NEC ND-4571A, latest firmware. Had the same problem with a panasonic drive. Problem exists for + and - and different brands.

TIA,

T.
    FT.

I remember this from MS site, it's for CDR but who knows.... .

Microsoft support is here to help you with Microsoft products. Find how-to articles, videos, and training for Microsoft Copilot, Microsoft 365, Windows, Surface, and more.

...The CD-R drive or CD-RW drive is not recognized as a recordable device
    To make sure that the CD-R drive or the CD-RW drive is recognized as a recordable drive, make sure that the Recording tab appears in the CD drive properties: 1. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
    2. Right-click the CD-R drive or the CD-RW drive, click Properties, and then look for the Recording tab.
    If the CD-R drive or the CD-RW drive is not recognized as a recording drive by Windows XP, but the drive is recognized only as a CD-ROM, confirm that the CD-R drive or the CD-RW drive is compatible with Windows XP. (For example, confirm that the drive is compatible with Windows XP if the Recording tab does not appear.) To do this, see the Microsoft Hardware Compatibility List (HCL). For more information about the HCL, see the "Hardware Device and Device Driver Compatibility" section.

If the drive is not compatible, you may still be able to record discs in Windows XP if you use a compatible third-party program or if you update the drivers. Contact the hardware manufacturer for a firmware or a device driver update. For more information, see the "Hardware Device and Device Driver Compatibility" section in this article.

If the CD-R drive or the CD-RW drive is compatible, follow the procedure that is described in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

316529 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316529/) CD-R drive or CD-RW drive is not recognized as a recordable device
    This article describes how to make the Recording tab appear for supported devices.

Also there is some talk here:

Good luck.

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Also look here:

Hi all, My Samsung DVD-ROM & Optorite DVD-R/RW no longer recognise DVD RW discs, either blank or previously burnt ones. Possibly since SP2, not sure. any ideas Thanks

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Thanks for looking. I did find some more specific hits, but nothing helps and there doesn't seem to be a cure.

I have found a workaround though: The ND-4571A works just fine in my computer, and my ND-3540A works just fine in the problem machine. Swapped. Sorted. Wish I knew why!
        FT.

Comment

Perhaps the bios has problems recognizing it as a dvd-drive?
          (if so, a bios update of the PC with the problem could solve it)

Jörg
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

It was actually reported correctly in the BIOS. This is a weird one. Nothing of any help on the NEC site, nor was it mentioned wrt the 3rd party firmwares.

Still, this way my mates happy and I get a labelflash drive to play with Its just a shame that i spent so long on it.
            FT.

Comment

Normally happens with duffly written CD writer software. Enter Roxio stage right.

Ah Via chipset say no more. Try the standard ide driver.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

The fresh install used the MS drivers, no joy. This problem appears on a vanilla OS on that machine. It shows in Explorer as DVD-RAM until you put a DVD+/-RW in then is spins really fast and shows as CD-ROM. Thanks though.
                FT.

Comment

Working...
                X