Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help to complete my HTPC

Hi all, back with a few questions.

My 2 cents HTPC is ready and working, but I feel the need to set-up a few final things.

1)
    The main problem is the "remote control setup". Somehow, I need to put some kind of remote control on this PC.
    Up to now I've installed an old Live 5.1 Platinum, the one with the front panel with hundred of plugs and the IR receiver. Problem is, I've not the cable necessary for connecting the panel to the card and I can't find any information on "how-to-build-it-yourself".
    If someone has that cable and can take a photo of it...I'd be very happy

Otherwise, I was thinking to build an infrared setup like those from Logitech, but then the problem is the input part of the box...if I don't use the front panel of the Creative, I lose the AC-3 input of the card, right?

2)
    Softwares:
    I've installed and used VLC player, and I don't remember why
    With a Radeon 8500 AIW without the original CDs, what's the better solution for playback of DVD and movies in general, and for recording?
    If I can remember correctly, the 8500 AIW has some kind of Hardware accelerator for decoding and enconding...what's the best free software to use this hardware?

Thx all for any eventual reply...and, if you think my english has become really bad...well, you're right
    Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

I just added one of these to my HTPC: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...s.aspx?pid=065.

I run Windows MCE 2005 and transcode HDTV video to my XBox 360 with transcode 360.

I also have one of these: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...s.aspx?pid=038. The keyboard works well but the integrated mouse it terrible.
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

If you can find a ATI Remote Wonder for a good price that would be an option if you don't want to build something.
      Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
      Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

I have the MCE remote which works well and also doubles as a twin IR blaster for controlling up to two STBs.

I was considering the combined keyboard/ mouse (I currently have to switch to a wireless kb/mouse for anything slightly complex). Schmo, what is the trouble with its mouse?
        FT.

Comment

I'm using Vista Ultimate with the MCE remote. Well, actually I'm using the MCE IR receiver and a Harmony remote now, the MCE remote is in the cupboard. For keyboard/mouse, I have a Gyration mouse and wireless keyboard.
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Working...
          X