• Show
Clear All

• Self cleaning....

....underwear

Self-Cleaning Underwear Goes Weeks Without Washing

By Bill Christensen

posted: 05 January 2007
    09:03 am ET

Self-cleaning fabrics could revolutionize the sport apparel industry. The technology, created by scientists working for the U.S. Air Force, has already been used to create t-shirts and underwear that can be worn hygenically for weeks without washing.

The new technology attaches nanoparticles to clothing fibers using microwaves. Then, chemicals that can repel water, oil and bacteria are directly bound to the nanoparticles. These two elements combine to create a protective coating on the fibers of the material.

This coating both kills bacteria, and forces liquids to bead and run off.

The U.S. military spent more than $20 million to develop the fabric, deriving from research originally intended to protect soldiers from biological weapons.

Jeff Owens, one of the scientists who worked to develop the process, said, "During Desert Storm, most casualties were from bacterial infections—not accidents or friendly fire. We treated underwear for soldiers who tested them for several weeks and found they remained hygienic. They also helped clear up some skin complaints."
    >
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

This seems very promising.

Hockey could definitely benefit from fabrics like this.

This reminds me of something... I remember reading about a survey that said that British men on average changed their underwear the least (something like once every 3-4 weeks). I simply couldn't imagine..
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

I go through two pair a day! Well, unless I'm wearing boxer briefs. I just can't sleep in boxers for some reason, though.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by schmosef View Post
        I remember reading about a survey that said that British men on average changed their underwear the least (something like once every 3-4 weeks). I simply couldn't imagine..
        Sorry, don't believe it. 3 or 4 times/week, perhaps. I suppose some homeless guys without laundry facilities may be forced not to change as frequently as they would like, but it's downright ridiculous to suggest the average Brit is like you suggest.
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

hey, i didn't put much stock in it either.

i'm not suggesting anything.

it was probably something misquoted by the media.
          P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

The Man in the White Suit
            DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Fantastic comedy. Although it postdates PTFE, it predates its popularisation as Teflon, which the suit could have been made from, with one major difference: PTFE is so darned stable, it would never spontaneously decompose, like it does in the film. I class this as one of the top five Guinness comedies, Kind Hearts and Coronets being #1 and The Ladykillers #2 (the original one, not that stupid American version).
              Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

100% agree with you Brian
                DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

But is this underwear soft and cottony, or is it like wearing shorts woven from nylon fishing line?

Kevin

Comment

welll shieeettt... it woulda been nice if they actually gave us this crap that they supposedly developed. The closest thing to this are the 50/50 Cotton/Polyester blended shirts that they decided were "better" than the 100% cotton ones. UnderArmor shirts are similar too... Basically, the theory so far has been if it wicks moisture away and does not sit soaking wet it minimizes the amount of bacteria that can breed, etc etc. I don't know of any antimicrobial coatings though...

problem is both of them have a tendancy to melt when exposed to heat and are a very very bad thing to be wearing in a combat zone. One step forward, two steps back...

I do have some boxers around here designed for hikers/travelers... similar to UnderArmor but they fit better and feel a hell of a lot nicer
                    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Working...
                    X