Father of instant ramen passes away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father of instant ramen passes away

Ando Momofuku, you may not know his name, but he has affected nearly everyones dietary habits, and possibly allowed many a college student to eat.

News on Japan, Business News, Opinion, Sports, Entertainment and More

OSAKA (Kyodo) Momofuku Ando, the founder of Nissin Food Products Co. and inventor of instant ramen, died of heart failure Friday evening at a hospital in Ikeda, Osaka Prefecture, his family said. He was 96.
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

I believe I owe him my first born... or something of that nature.

Good to see he lived a full life.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

I sure ate a lot of his product in college , with a little added shrimp/pork etc..
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Man no kidding. How many calories were provided to college students' brains via instant ramen?
        Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
        Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Never even heard of it, but he seems to have lived a long and healthy life.
          Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

May he rest in peace...

(eating product of his genius now)

Comment

Originally posted by gt40 View Post
              Never even heard of it

contains this;

and a small packet of instant "soup", actually boullion. There are several varieties including beef, chicken, shrimp, "oriental" and others.

Boil water, add the noodles & soup mix and boil a couple of minutes. Also add meat, egg & veggies at your option. When done chow down. I like adding shrimp or shredded pork with some bok choy. China eats ~45 billion packs a year.

This has sustained college & med students in the US and Canada for decades, especially during exam crunch. It's probably the inspiration for most instant dry soups on the market (Cup o' Soup etc.).

Cost: $0.12 to $0.25 a meal, which with convenience is why students find it attractive.
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 7 January 2007, 19:21.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Don't forget, it makes a pretty good dried snack that fills you up nicely. Probably better for you than a bag of chips or the like...

maybe

Comment

I believe the specific Nissin brand in the US is "Top Ramen". Nissin also make the Cup o' Noodle.
                  Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                  Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Top Ramen is indeed the major Nissin brand here and is probably the most popular as well (in that style, opposed to the cup/bowl variety).

There are also a few Chinese and other style brands out there as well, though the Chinese ones are rather similar to the Japanese brands (which isn't surprising given the origins of ramen).

Comment

Oddly (considering how many years I was a university student ) I have never had a serving of that stuff.
                      Is it good or is it just salty?
                      I don't have much of a taste for salt and don't salt my food, or generally like salty food.
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Yeah it's sorta salty in a way. The flavour varies based on what sort of soup packet you get with the noodles, but you could probably liken it to chicken broth or bullion cubes (in liquid form).

Comment

Yeah, high sodium, fairly tasty, and takes all of 2 minutes to make, at ~400 calories a (20 cent) package.
                          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley View Post
                            Oddly (considering how many years I was a university student ) I have never had a serving of that stuff.
                            I don't have much of a taste for salt and don't salt my food, or generally like salty food.
                            You can just cook the noodles and pour soy sauce over it, or add leek's, carrots, brocoli. The packets that come with it generally have msg and are salty, I tend to try differents variations.
                            Titanium is the new bling!
                            (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley View Post

I'm no salt fan either so I usually add just half the 'soup' pack. The extras add more than enough flavor to make up for it.
                              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                              X