Unraveling the Inca Paradox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unraveling the Inca Paradox

Interesting article on khipu (bundles of knotted strings) and the possibility they may be the equivalent of a written language for the long lost civilization.

... if centuries of scholarship are to be believed, the Inca, whose rule began 2,000 years after Homer, never figured out how to write. It's an enigma known as the Inca paradox, and for nearly 500 years it has stood as one of the great historical puzzles of the Americas. But now a Harvard anthropologist named Gary Urton may be close to untangling the mystery.

His quest revolves around strange, once-colorful bundles of knotted strings called khipu (pronounced KEY-poo). The Spanish invaders noticed the khipu soon after arriving but never understood their significance – or how they worked.

[...]

Most Incan scholars are intrigued by Urton's ideas, though a few skeptics have noted that he has not produced any proof that his binary code carries meaning, much less that the khipu contain narratives. The Harvard professor concedes that some of the information he's looking at may not signal anything. But he is convinced the khipu have stories to tell, and he has some history on his side. José de Acosta, a Jesuit missionary sometimes called the Pliny of the New World, wrote a description of the khipu at the end of the 16th century. In it, he describes how the "woven reckonings" were used to record financial transactions involving hens, eggs, and hay. But he also noted that the native people considered the khipu to be "witnesses and authentic writing." "I saw a bundle of these strings," he wrote, "on which a woman had brought a written confession of her whole life and used it to confess just as I would have done with words written on paper."
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

As shown on TV:

Comment

Vaguely remember its showing here in the US. Can't say I recall much about it.
        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Originally posted by Jessterw View Post
          Vaguely remember its showing here in the US. Can't say I recall much about it.
          i remember watching that in england. good show
          /meow
          Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
          Asus Striker ][
          8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
          Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

I totally remember that show. Problem is it was only on like one day a week on Nickelodeon and we only got Nickelodeon on my grandparents' satellite (old-style HUGE dish) and I had to fight the other kids for control of the remote... so I only saw a few episodes here and there. But it was a GREAT show. Totally the kind of story I go for - you can see the relation to Stargate, of course...
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

is that the animation series about historical things? If so, there's another one that deals with the human body where they have all kinds of creatures for red blood cells, white blood cells and nasty ones for the bacteria

Comment

first one dating back to 1978: es war einmal der mensch (Il était une fois... L'homme, apparently a french/japanese production)

es war einmal der weltraum (space)
                es war einmal amerika (america)
                es war einmal das leben (life)
                es war einmal die entdeckung der welt (discovery of the world)
                es war einmal entdecker und erfinder (inventors... strange grammar, if you ask me)

good times. I remember having a bunch of comic books for the first series (dinosaurs to ancient civlisation to middle ages to space) as well. I always thought that was a European thing, never thought they would show them elsewhere.

mfg
                wulfman
                "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                "Lobsters?"
                "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Working...
                X