Need help w/ scsi dvd & cd-r in win98fe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help w/ scsi dvd & cd-r in win98fe

I'm building a new system and I decided to go all scsi this time. I am running a P3 500 in an Asus P2B-LS (onboard adaptec scsi) board.
    I bought a teac 8x24 burner and a pioneer 6x dvd drive, but I am having problems getting them to work together. Either one will work properly, but when I put both on the same bus (50 pin), win98 freezes. I thought at first it was a termination problem, but I'm not sure anymore. The last device on the bus is terminated(the cd-r). win98 and the 2 devices seem to work fine if I de-select the disconnect property for one of the drives(in the device manager). But I want both of my scsi devices to be able to disconnect, especially since I plan to burn from cd to cd. I have only installed win98 first edition and haven't gotten the service update yet. Is this a software issue? or is the dvd or cd-r not working correctly? or for some reason is the Asus on-

A good place to start would be to check for Bios/firmware updates for the mobo (check if scsi bios is at ver 2.11 during boot), as well as for the cd-r. It could be that the two devices just don't like each other, but a firmware update for the cd-r could make it better. The drivers built in to win98 for the aic7890 should be fine (3.02 are the most current).

------------------
    Andrew Gallagher - andrew@agallagher.com
    Asus P2B-S, PII-350, 64MB PC100, 12.7GB Quantum Fireball EX ATA-33, 2x2.1GB Quantum Atlas I UWSCSI, Toshiba 6201 SCSI CD, Yamaha CRW4416S SCSI CD-RW, WangDAT SCSI, MillG200 8MB, SBLive! Retail (Plugged into a JVC RX884V Dolby Digital Receiver@500W), Win98SE

[This message has been edited by agallag (edited 08-05-99).]
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

absolutely right Agallag, i wrote something like that yesterday, but the forum did not
      display my answer (the proof there was an answer: the number of actual reply is one more than the answers you can read !).

Asus P2B-S (bios 1010)
      ASPI driver 3.02
      Yamaha 4416S (firmware 1.0g)
      G200 8MB SDRAM (Bios 2.6, PD 5.13)
      DD IBM 34560W
      Sound blaster PCI 128
      CD pioneer 36X

(had many problems with bios 1008 (SCSI 2.01)
      and firmware yamaha 1.0f).

Comment

Thanks for the help. Actually my scsi devices and bus are working fine now. I pulled everything, and started fresh with just the mobo, mem, proc, video and scsi devices and works like a champ. But my new SBLive card is the one screwing up my system. It initally wanted to take my scsi irq (15), but plug&pray set it to irq 5. I was able to install the drivers and it worked until I rebooted the system. When win98(se) began to load, the system reboots by itself. In fact it will cycle (boot, start win98, system reboot) until I turn the computer off. If I pull out the sound card, the system will work fine. And I dont believe the SBLive card is bad... It worked in my system just fin when no scsi devices were active. So I'm stumped - I believe it's an irq issue but not sure how to solve it with win98. Any advice now?????

Comment

If you can get it to boot the first time, try looking at the PCI Bus properties. Look at IRQ steering. Switch it to ACPI only. This should either disable it or force it to read the bios settings. If it uses Microsoft tables it tends to F things up. This is what I found when using some older SS7 boards. It may or may not be the case with your system, but it couldn't hurt!
          Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
          - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
          - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
          - 6.1 Digital Audio
          - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
          - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
          - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
          - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
          - LS120 IDE Floppy
          - Zip 100 IDE
          - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
          - NEC FE950
          - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

If you can boot in safe mode, try to allocate the Live!'s resources by hand in the Devices page.
            Also, the Live! will take two IRQ's if you want it to be compatible with old SB cards. (emulation)

-Wombat

------------------
            503+ rev 1.2a, 128MB PC100 RAM, K6-2/350@400,RH6 & Win98,G200 Millenium (SGRAM), no plans to buy a G400

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

or try seting the irq for your pci slots in the bios.

------------------
              Noel C Ridge Jr.(im tired and boared but i go on.(my friends think im nuts, i keep telling them im just insane.)

Comment

Jerpeter:

You may already be aware of it but in case you aren't, there are forced IRQ sharing issues on BX boards between not only the AGP and PCI slot #1, but also between any IRQ-using card in PCI slot #4 and USB devices, ISA cards and on-board SCSI.

------------------
                P2-450;256MB PC100;Asus P2B;16MB G200 Mystique 5.13,2.6; 12MB CL Voodoo2;CL SB Live Full(LW2.1); ViewSonic 17PS; 10GB Maxtor 7200RPM UDMA2;3.2GB Quantum FB ST UDMA2;CL 2X Encore;USR 5686 External Sportster V.90;Win98;DX6.1;IE5a etc.

P2-450;256MB PC100;Asus P2B (bios 1011);16MB G200 Mystique 5.52,2.6; 12MB CL Voodoo2;CL SB Live Full(LW3.0); ViewSonic 17PS-2; 10GB Maxtor 7200RPM UDMA2;3.2GB Quantum FB ST UDMA2;CL 2X Encore DVD-ROM kit;USR 5686 External Sportster V.90;Win98 SP1;DirectX 7.0a;IE5.01 etc.

Comment

Working...
                X