RFID Guardian: RFID firewall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RFID Guardian: RFID firewall

Speaking to a packed and sweaty crowd this afternoon, RFID researcher Melanie Rieback explained the technology behind RFID Guardian, a personal firewall she's developing that will protect your privacy in an world where your clothes, library books, and passport contain RFID tags. You can see the latest completed version of the Guardian above -- it's an ordinary circuitboard with two antennae and powerful onboard processors. It intercepts signals from RFID readers that are attempting to get information from, say, the RFID in your passport. Like a software firewall, it won't let those signals reach your RFID unless you want them to -- for example, if you're passing through customs.

"You can set the Guardian to selectively block your RFIDs," Reiback explained. So if you don't want anybody snooping on the RFID in your credit card, but you don't mind if they read the one in your Nikes, you can use the Guardian to stop only signals that query your credit card. This device should prove a boon to privacy advocates who fear that people will be tracked everywhere when RFIDs become ubiquitous in most consumer items, key cards, and IDs.

Right now the Guardian is a prototype, but Rieback's working on compact version that will be available commercially in six months to a year for about 100 Euro. Simply clip the Guardian to your belt, and you can set it up to prevent people from reading your RFID tags and snarfing your personal data. As she fielded questions from the audience after her lecture (see right), Reiback explained the ins and outs of the chipset she'd chosen as well as why she'd become interested in this work. She wants to protect consumer privacy, as well as alert the RFID industry to some of the dangers that crop up when technology makes it easy for malicious individuals to make off with personal data or track a victim's location.

In the future, Reiback predicted, the RFID Guardian could be something you download to your next generation smart phone. Think of it as a do-not-call list for RFIDs.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

So how much physical shielding would I need around my credit cards and passport to do the same job? Will/could we see a wave of metal-lined wallets?
    FT.

Comment

OK, so a little googling shows its perfectly feasible...even replacement trouser pockets with mesh in the material are available.
      FT.

Comment

A metal-lined passport wallet has been available here for some time now; I'd trust this low-tech alternative more than that high-tech "personal firewall" thingie (although that's certainly interesting, I don't really see it being better in any way).
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

http://www.difrwear.com/purchase.shtml cheap enough for the wallet than an electronic shield....
          Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

yes, but you don't life in a country that already uses RFID tech to get around.
            One of the train lines I use at times, and from march my daily train have the option of RFID based ticket cards, i just have to brush my wallet past the ticket gate and I am good to go.
            As opposed to having to deal with paper tickets.

My phone also has RFID tech, I have the same train pass in my phone - not currently used - as well as a credit card.

Being able to selectivly enable different RFID's would be very popular here.
            Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Yup, those metal mesh lined wallets work. Basically make a simple faraday cage and it'll block the signals. Aluminum foil around your cards works too, and it also works around peoples' head in tin foil hat form.
              Incidently this same principle works to block those prox detectors that department stores use to set off an alarm when you take something out of the store with the tag on it. There've been a few stories of shoplifters using foil lined shopping bags to smuggle goods out of the store without setting off the alarm.

Comment

Sasq, the obvious low-tech solution would be to use two different wallets - one for personalized stuff you don't want others to read, and one fur stuff such as train tickets. Although I'm sure in a few years even train tickets will require biometric authentication
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az View Post
                  Sasq, the obvious low-tech solution would be to use two different wallets - one for personalized stuff you don't want others to read, and one fur stuff such as train tickets. Although I'm sure in a few years even train tickets will require biometric authentication
                  See, that could work if I didn't already have 2 wallets. As I said however, I also have RFID in the keitai (turn off mostly) and other gadgets are getting too.
                  I can see a use for something like that in this country
                  Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Working...
                  X