FreeSpace 2!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeSpace 2!!!

So I decided to install some games in anticipation of getting my Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro working (see here).

I found my StarLancer discs and the game installed no problem.

But I couldn't find my FreeSpace 2 discs. I was upset. I started looking for a torrent for the game (heck, I own the discs!) but couldn't find one. I found something better though...

I found this site: The Freespace 2 Source Code Project

And after reading this FAQ, discovered the following:

-Volition released the source code for FreeSpace 2 (but not the resource files)
    -The EULA for Freespace 2 allows for unlimited non-commercial copies to be made for "friends"
    -A big community has grown around fixing bugs and modding FreeSpace 2 to look like a modern game (it already looked awesome).
    -All the files from the original FreeSpace 2, the souce code updates, and the mods are free to download!!!

Hard Light Productions seems to host the forums with all the latest info on the scene. There are many mods available and in the works.

Here's the thread announcing the latest release of the source code updates: link

Here's info on the "installer" that will automate the entire process of getting the game running: link

The best way to get started though, if you don't already have the game installed, is to go here and download and install the Freespace 2 Online Installer (Java Required). Here's the direct link but you should check out the page to see your options.

From what I understand you also need to download and install OpenAL.

So does it work? I don't know yet. I started the install a few hours ago and 4.9GB later everything has just finished (as I was typing this post). I'll be trying it in a few minutes and will provide updates here.
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

well... it works!

it needs some tweaking to get the most out of all the graphics mods and updates but it definitely works.

can't wait to get my Sidewinder working!

Comment

they even made a version for os-x.
      Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
      Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
      Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Some of these Mods are awesome.

There's a Mod that ports the FreeSpace 1 campaign into FressSpace 2 so you can play all of FreeSpace 1 too (including the cut scenes!).

Comment

Looks like December 31st was a big day for the Space Fighter Sim community.

The team behind Wing Commander Saga (from what I can tell it's a Mod of FS2 that recreates the Wing Commander universe) have also made their first public release: link (and yes, there's a mac-osx version of the game too!)

I've downloaded it but haven't tried it yet. I did look at some cutscene samples posted on the WCSaga website. I'm looking forward to trying the game.
          Last edited by schmosef; 2 January 2007, 18:50. Reason: typo

Comment

I received SitFlyer's USB/Gameport dongle today!

Looking forward to playing me some FreeSpace on the weekend.

Thanks again SitFlyer!

Comment

I you want to play the babylon mod be sure to read this thread -> http://www.hard-light.net/forums/ind...c,39708.0.html
              Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
              Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
              Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Working...
              X