SCSI and the perfect DVD and CDR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCSI and the perfect DVD and CDR

Here's a bunch of loaded questions: 1) What's a good SCSI2 controller card that will support a DVD and a CDR. 2) Which DVD would be a perfect match up for a good CDR? I need serious advice.

The SCSI adapter I'm looking at is either the AHA2906 PCI or the AHA2910C. I'm not too sure what the difference is, but it seems that the 2906 will suffice for most of my CDR and CD needs. Please tell me if I'm wrong.

Now the DVD that interests me is both the Pioneer DVD and the Toshiba. Pioneer doesn't have the SPDIF and I'm not sure about Toshiba. And if I have money, of course, a Plextor 8/20X would be nice.

But who am I joking I'll probably end up with all IDE drives. If anyone could also give me good ideas of decent IDE DVD and CDRs along with what they think of SCSI items, I'd much appreciate it.

[This message has been edited by GoKhoo (edited 08-02-99).]

GoKhoo, I posted this earlier - but guess what. It's invisible. Count the posts, then look at the counters... I dislike unreliable servers very much. - Well now the counters match - but this message was posted after the "W"..... Dag-Gummed Servers

Either would get the job done for internal SCSI devices like CDR and DVD, however you would be restricted to SCSI Narrow, Single-Ended, non-bootable devices.

This would be no problem if all you wanted was CDROM, DVD-ROM, SCSI-ZIP, SCANNER, ETC...

But not for a hard drives or bootable CDROMS or the newer wide, ultra-wide or ultra2-wide devices. Neither card have a bios that loads into memory to allow attached devices to act like hard drives or bootable devices.

Cards like the 2940, 2940UW, 2940U2W are your best bet if you want to be able to boot off of a hard drive or cdrom attached to the controller.

If you want further info or you want me to clarify any of these items just reply...

LB

[This message has been edited by Guyver (edited 08-02-99).]
    Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
    - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
    - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
    - 6.1 Digital Audio
    - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
    - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
    - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
    - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
    - LS120 IDE Floppy
    - Zip 100 IDE
    - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
    - NEC FE950
    - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Yeah, all I'm looking for is to hook up a CDR , scanner, or zip. I'm kind of low on cash, so SCSI and my wallet don't mix too well. :| I just found the Tekram DC-390. Is that pretty similar to the Adaptec AVA-2906? The only thing I can tell the difference is the "Mini" DB50 connector. What makes it mini?

Anyway, I kind of made up my mind up on getting at least a SCSI CDR. So far it's between a Yamaha 4416S or the Teac CD-R56S. Any comments on those? Again, thanks for the help.

Comment

I know that generally the SCSI Cd burners are better. I have read in several reviews, and have a coworker who has a Yamaha IDE drive, swear that the Yamaha IDE is just as good as a SCSI.

Comment

Gurm,

I disagree, W is not a good brand to go with.

GoKhoo,

Do you plan on ever putting a SCSI Hard Drive on the chain or is it exclusively for you CD/DVD stuff?

Jammrock

------------------
          PIII 540 (120 MHz x 4.5 - 540), 256 MB PC133 SDRAM, ASUS P3B-F, Winblows 98 SuckyEdition, 18 GB WD Expert HDD, Encore 6x DVD w/ Dxr3 decoder, (TEMPORARY!!!) Voodoo 3 2000 @ 175 MHz which will be replaced by a Matrox G400 MAX, Sound Blaster Live! full retail, MAG DX715T 17
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Mini means just that, they took the standard 50 pin connector and shrunk it. Mini 50 pin looks like a trapaziod and the pins are in 2 rows. For internal CR-R's you will need a standard 50-pin ribbon connector. I used one of those Tekram SCSI cards for a burner before and it seems to work okay. If you have the cash get an Adaptec though (they are only a few bucks more). I would suggest an AHA-2920.

Jammrock

------------------
            PIII 540 (120 MHz x 4.5 - 540), 256 MB PC133 SDRAM, ASUS P3B-F, Winblows 98 SuckyEdition, 18 GB WD Expert HDD, Encore 6x DVD w/ Dxr3 decoder, (TEMPORARY!!!) Voodoo 3 2000 @ 175 MHz which will be replaced by a Matrox G400 MAX, Sound Blaster Live! full retail, MAG DX715T 17
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

As Jammrock stated the mini db50 is just that. The 2906 uses a DB25 (looks like a parallel connector) female connection. Most SCSI scanners come with a cable with this kind of connection on them. (They are less expensive to use)

Check with your scanner or the vendor whose scanner you may think about purchasing. This should tell you what kind of external connector you may need. SCSI cables are relatively expensive (30-40 for a good one that is 6 feet or less) so it would be a good idea to match the card with the cable type used by your preference in scanners.

Guyver
              Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
              - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
              - 6.1 Digital Audio
              - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
              - LS120 IDE Floppy
              - Zip 100 IDE
              - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
              - NEC FE950

Comment

Gotcha! Checked my SCSI scanner and it's got the full on DB50, so I'll aim at the adaptec. Another question, though. I noticed that the AHA-2920 has a bus master. Does that make a huge difference when compared to a simple SCSI controller like the AVA-2906?

Comment

The bus mastering plays an important role when doing data intensive transfers. I do not believe it would have a major effect when using a CDROM, ZIP or scanner.

However, if the price isn't far off - go for it! Every little bit helps in the long run.

------------------
                  Running an ABIT BE6, PIII-450 @ 600Mhz, 128MB (128x1) PC133HSDRAM (running @ 133), Matrox Mystique G200 8MB, SBLive! Value, Adaptec AHA-2940UW (Dual Channel)
                  All kinds of other SCSI and ATAPI goodies....
                  -------------
                  Waiting for my G400Max Impatiently, increasing system performance to give it a good home.....

Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                  - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                  - 6.1 Digital Audio
                  - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                  - LS120 IDE Floppy
                  - Zip 100 IDE
                  - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                  - NEC FE950

Comment

I have a 2940UW PRO you can use all 3 connections at once 2 68pin and one 50pin 68pin on the inside 68pinon the outside and a 50 pin internal. connected to it I have (i)=internal (e)=external
                    32xPioneer cdrom (i)
                    2 barracuda drives (i)
                    1 cheeha drive (i)
                    1 2gig jaz drive (i)
                    1 zip drive (e)
                    1 umax scanner (e) well i could not get it internal
                    1 4/12 plexwriter cdr (e)

Comment

In my opinion, the 2920 would give you the most features for the best price (it's been replaced by the 2930u now). It's not too expensive, and does everything you'll need it to do.

I think you can pick it up for about US$100.

I doubt you'll ever need support for wide devices, as only higher end HDs use that. You'll probably want to stick with IDE for your HDs anyway.

Check out the specs at http://www.adaptec.com/products/data...ilaha2930.html

------------------
                      Andrew Gallagher - andrew@agallagher.com
                      Asus P2B-S, PII-350, 64MB PC100, 12.7GB Quantum Fireball EX ATA-33, 2x2.1GB Quantum Atlas I UWSCSI, Toshiba 6201 SCSI CD, Yamaha CRW4416S SCSI CD-RW, WangDAT SCSI, MillG200 8MB, SBLive! Retail (Plugged into a JVC RX884V Dolby Digital Receiver@500W), Win98SE

[This message has been edited by agallag (edited 08-05-99).]
                      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I know I may be opening a can of worms, however, IMHO I believe that IDE drives are fine for the most part.
                        I am using a creative labs 6x "kit" with a HP 8200 cr-rw (all ide) and have had no problems running both together. I find the HP burner has been both reliable and quick. The DVD is also running smoothly and is quick enough for my tastes. The Dxr3 is arguable (but I like it). SCSI may be preffered by some, but I think it is not truly needed for the average user unless you are runnuing multiple X drives ect. Speed and reliability have become less of an issue.

Richard

Btw my system is now
                        p3-450, 128pc100, 12gig Quantum IDE, G200 8meg,Live value, Dxr3, Creative DVD6x, HP CdrW 8200, A-open 56K (getting ADSL on Monday) ........
                        P3-450, Abit Bx6r2, 128meg pc100, Quantum Fireball 12, Quantum Fireball 4.3, g200-8meg,
                        Monster V2 16meg, SB Live value, HP CDRW 8200, Creative Labs 5xDVD, DxR3, D-link Nic,
                        ADSL(e)modem, Aims VHE Tv tuner.

Comment

Working...
                        X