For Brits: New Year's Honours List.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Brits: New Year's Honours List.

IMHO, the whole idea of honours is to recognise something really outstanding that someone has done, especially something to help the community. It brings it down from the sublime to the ridiculous when you see:

George BELL Lately Milkman, Wiseman's Dairy. For services to the community in Gullane, East Lothian.
    (Tranent, East Lothian)

Roderick David STEWART Singer and Songwriter. For services to Music.
    (London, NW8)

Michael Redvers GOLDING Yachtsman. For services to Sport.
    (Southampton, Hampshire)

Then, you have the bossmen of companies whose only merit is to have done their job:

Dr Patrick Charles UPSON Managing Director, Enrichment Technology Company Limited. For services to Industry.
    (Henley, Oxfordshire)

Graham Edward TUPPEN Chief Executive, Enterprise Inns. For services to the Hospitality Industry.
    (Totnes, Devon)

Also, you have civil servants who have just done their job, as well:

Peter John DAVIES Head, Business Design, Jobcentre Plus, Department for Work and Pensions.
    (Todmorden, West Yorkshire)

Thomas Herbert DRAKE Interim Chief Executive, Scottish Qualifications Authority. For services to Education.
    (Edinburgh, Lothian)

Terry WIGGINS Sous Chef, House of Commons.
    (London, SE12)

Is this not a farce? Should the honours system be scrapped? Should it be confined to just a few, truly meretricious cases, limited to, say, 2 knighthoods and a dozen each CBEs and OBEs and suchlike? (The present list has ~950 persons "honoured": I doubt whether 20% of these have really done anything of merit, other than done their job.) I feel that it has become cheapened when any Tom, Dick or Harry get a gong with no real merit.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
    Is this not a farce? Should the honours system be scrapped? Should it be confined to just a few, truly meretricious cases, limited to, say, 2 knighthoods and a dozen each CBEs and OBEs and suchlike?
    Yep, Yep and Yep. I was reading this earlier today in the paper and couldn't believe it.

Comment

Working...
    X