LCD Monitor/TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCD Monitor/TV

I am looking for a 15-20 inch LCD TV/monitor. I will be using it as a TV in the bedroom and will probably only use the coaxial input, but it would be nice to have scart/s-video/VGA for alternate use. The other must have feature is a remote control - as I don't want to have to get out of bed to adjust the volume.

I have seen a few models sub £200, so that's my budget. Interestingly, monitors with a coax input (ie TV) seem to be cheaper than TVs with a VGA input. Odd!

I am concerned about poor viewing angles with the budget end of LCDs, especially as I won't be viewing the TV head on.

Can anyone recommend a model/range, or suggest what to avoid.

Cheers.
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

crap! I write like a girl!

Words: 134

(NOTE: The genie works best on texts of more than 500 words.)

Female Score: 282
    Male Score: 220

The Gender Genie thinks the author of this passage is: female!
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Looking at the range on Comet's website all the models up to £250 look pretty bad from a PC perspective, low contrast ratio's and native resolutions. Buying a 15"/17" LCD monitor and using an external TV box, like the ones Viewsonic used to do, might be a better solution.
      When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

I have a Viewsonic N1700W and have sold a few of a similar model (N1750W, I think).

It's fine. Not great. Just fine. Viewing angle isn't terrific. Scaling isn't terrific.

You should definitely try to see one in person before you make a purchase. Viewsonic here is pretty good about providing dealer demos. If they don't have models to view in the store find a local authorized Viewsonic dealer (list is probably available on the Viewsonic website) and ask them to ask their Viewsonic sales rep for a loaner.
        P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

A bit cheaper/smaller and not a widescreen, Philips Magnavox 15MF605T/1. ~$250 most anywhere, though I've seen it for less than $200 over the holidays.

We have one on Margies craft shops computer which also has a satellite feed & DVD/VCR combo deck. Does a good job for a cheap set. Spends most of its time on the 'net, HGTV, DIY and watching her project/new toy tutorials

4:3 aspect ratio for viewing standard TV in fullscreen format with selectable 16:9 mode

3-2/2-2 pulldown for accurate reproduction of film-based sources

1024 x 768 pixel resolution; accepts all major DTV signals, including 1080i, 720p and 480p, plus standard 480i

Smart Picture automatically adjusts picture settings to optimal levels

130° horizontal and 110° vertical viewing angles

3D motion-adaptive deinterlacing and 2D digital comb filter

Picture-in-picture and split screen let you view one source while you keep your eye on another (only in PC mode)

Ultraslim LCD measures less than 6-3/4" deep; comes with table stand that can be converted to a wall mount for mounting TV on a wall

Inputs: 15-pin D-sub, 1 component video, 1 SVHS/AV (S-video) with shared audio, 1 mini audio and RF (note: also has composite RCA AV)

2 built-in 3W stereo speakers with SAP/MTS stereo sound and Virtual Dolby Surround sound; Smart Sound keeps volume levels constant while flipping through channels and commercial breaks
          >
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 January 2007, 07:44.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Thanks guys.
            I've also been recommended this

Comment

Looks nice with that 720p/1366 x 768 resolution & built in player. Don't see PiP though.

I'd get them to demo it first.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                Looks nice with that 720p/1366 x 768 resolution & built in player. Don't see PiP though.

I'd get them to demo it first.
                Its actually 1440*900, and doesn't have PIP.
                FT.

Comment

Cut/pasted the rez from its page
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Yeah, the only thing you can rely on is the unit itself!
                    FT.

Comment

Working...
                    X