mouse goes nuts! and so do I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mouse goes nuts! and so do I

On a friends computer cyrix 166,win95,the strangest thing happens.When win95 screen comes up the cursor starts moving back and forth bringing up everything it touches,including programs it doesn't touch!Heck of a screen saver! I have started in safe mode and see no port conflicts,have tested with another mouse,hence do not suspect hardware.Have removed mouse in control panel-system, and rebooted win95 tells me can not detect mouse,reinstalled mouse via add new hardware,reboot and here we go again!When he first described to me,I thought it an exageration,but no,it is truly amazing!Any suggestions.Ports or drivers?Where should I begin?Re-install win95?Shoot it?Cyrix?HELP!!!!!

are any of the pins bent in the plug? a loose connection could do that like if one got bent and then straightened and now is making intermitent conections. check the socket too for a bad connection.
    good luck
    REKamlias

Comment

Yes, could be some pins making contact...

But I've had a similar problem with my machine at work. The mouse kept going to the left or right screen-corner, opening everything it found onscreen...

Changing the mouse didn't help.
      It was an IRQ conflict between my videochip and the mouse-port.

Check the IRQ's first.
      Check if the mouse IRQ (COM:1=IRQ#4, COM:2=IRQ#3) is in conflict with something else in the PC.

If so, try to change the IRQ of that other card to a free IRQ. You cannot change IRQs of the COM-ports.

Jorden

Jordâ„¢

Comment

Is it a laptop?

Comment

Hmmm, sorry Wombat, but what you said is total gibberish (as you know, ) but then again, I'm jordon.....

hhaahhaahha

(Hmmm guys, inside joke)

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 08-04-99).]
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

A symptom if IRQ conflicts is if one type of mouse will work while another won't. If you're using serial, try a PS/2, if you have the port. Or vice versa. If nothing else, it will give you a working mouse to use until you debug the problem.

Good luck,
            Wombat

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Problem solved!IRQ conflict,com 2 had disappeared and everything was trying to jump on com 1.Solved by removing modem from system,rebooting, creating new port (com 2)shuting down reinstall modem and let windows do the rest.All is well.Sleep tight and thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
              X