Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i865G: can't select the proper resolution.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i865G: can't select the proper resolution.

I have a problem. I've bought my mother a TFT with a native resolution of 1400x1050. I've checked before that her PC's i865G integrated graphics chipset supports this resolution - problem is: I can't select it in WinXP Pro, neither can powerstrip generate custom resolutions for this chipset. The correct monitor inf is loaded, the latest intel driver installed, I can select both higher and lower resolutions than that, but 1400 isn't available when I click the "list all available modi" button. "Hide resolutions your monitor can't display" is disabled.

HELP! I'm at my wit's end.
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Do you have enough shared RAM? Perhaps your higher res was at a lower bit depth?
    FT.

Comment

It wasn't. But how would I set the shared RAM anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by az View Post
        It wasn't. But how would I set the shared RAM anyway?
        t'would be done in the bios, I'd assume
        Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Intel's integrated Video controllers from the I815EB Integrated Video controller and on have been able to dynamically access RAM without Windows noticing...this is not always a good thing, however. (Windows will always show all RAM available, and mask how much the onboard Video controller is really using - I've run into several systems which were essentially out of memory and swapping furiously but still showing over 150MB free RAM.)

IIRC, the I845G and later video accellerators can access up to 224MB of System RAM Dynamically (SiSsoft Sandra Regularly reports the adapter as using up to 224MB of RAM).

Depending on on the iteration of the Video Adapter, you may need to install a Monitor Driver in order for the Intel Adapter to allow you to select that particular resolution. I've also very recently experienced and issue relating to a bad monitor connection (through my KVM) preventing my laptop's video adapter from "seeing" all of the available resolutions for a given monitor (it stopped at 1024x768 until I reseated the connection, after which it then allowed me to select 1600x1200).

YMMV.
          Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

As I said, I have installed the proper monitor driver, and I've also tried with a custom monitor .inf from powerstrip. I am able to select higher resolutions, and it's a high quality cable.

Comment

Working...
            X