Corrupted Compact Flash Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corrupted Compact Flash Card

Ok so I let my Nintendo DS battery run down and it apparently took my 512MB Sandisk CF card with it.

When I put it in the reader under Windows, it takes a LOOOONG time to recognize before saying it's inaccessible. Putting it in the slot on my printer gets me a "card access error". Under Linux I'm told that the device is there (/dev/sda) but that the superblock is inaccessible (io error).

One person online suggested a manual fdisk under win98 might do it, but that would involve getting win98 drivers for the CF reader, yeah? Or more to the point DOS drivers?

Any suggestions? I'd prefer NOT to go spend ... however much ... on another stick of CF. Nothing else here uses it except my DS card reader.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Originally posted by Gurm View Post
    ...but that would involve getting win98 drivers for the CF reader, yeah? Or more to the point DOS drivers?
    You would need DOS drivers for USB with the necessary support for storage devices. The Norton Ghost boot disk comes with some which may work with a card reader
    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

CF cards are ordinary IDE devices, there are mechanical adaptors to plug them into an IDE cable, maybe you can find instructions how to make your own. No drivers needed.
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I had no idea anything like that existed.

New Egg ~$10

Ebay:
        Or just buy one for $1 + shipping
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

Could a reformat via a camera do the trick? I once had problems with a SD card and that worked.
          Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
          Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Originally posted by TnT View Post
            Could a reformat via a camera do the trick? I once had problems with a SD card and that worked.

That's my next step - we have a Nikon at the office I can try. I'll hit Best Buy later today and see if they even have any CF devices left. LOL.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

THat'd be my next step - the $1 one from eBay. LOL!

Comment

Canon SLRs still use CF. BestBuy should at least have a Rebel XTi kicking around.
                Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

There is a working USB DOS driver which works for thumb drives and Media which uses a USB interface...I've had good luck using DUSE (http://www.bootdisk.com/usb.htm)....

I have had great luck with CF to IDE adapters. Most of the professional cameras still use CF, and most of the Windows CE/XP Embedded world revolves around them...I regularly use CF at work for mobile OS management.
                  Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Which DS do you have?

What games?

/ot

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino View Post
                      Which DS do you have?

What games?

/ot
                      Regular DS, original firmware. With a SuperKey and a SuperCard CF.

Comment

Working...
                      X