• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight loss pill that works

Article....

Pill that tricks you into losing weight

26th December 2006

An obesity pill which can help women drop two dress sizes in a year has been hailed by scientists after stunning test results.

The drug fools the body's metabolism into staying active, cutting weight by 12 per cent in under a year.

For a 12 and a half stone woman, this would mean shedding 21lb - or two dress sizes. The pill, Excalia, is said to work better and faster than existing drugs.

A course of one a day could have a dramatic effect on quality of life and cut the risk of heart disease, diabetes and cancer.

Excalia will need official approval before being made available on the NHS. But a successful weight-reduction pill would be a major attraction for a health service-which spends £1billion a year on obesity-related problems.

The UK has the worst weight problem in Europe, with almost a quarter of adults classed as obese.

Existing anti-obesity pills generally cut weight by five to ten per cent when taken for a year.

But men and women taking Excalia for 48 weeks lost 12 per cent of their body weight, it was reported at a conference run by the North American Association for the Study of Obesity, the world's leading scientific obesity research body.

The U.S. scientists developing the pills say their beauty lies in their ability keep the pounds coming off long after most dieters would stop losing weight.

Many slimmers find that, after weeks of successfully losing weight, their metabolism slows down and they hit a plateau. With the pounds slower to come off, many lose their resolve and end up piling weight back on.

Excalia gets round this by tricking the hypothalamus - the brain's weight and appetite thermostat - into keeping the metabolism running fast.

The pill contains two drugs which are already widely used, against epilepsy and smoking, so there is a reduced danger of side-effects emerging in trials. The pills also boost levels of a hormone that stops us getting hungry.

Dr Ken Fujioka, one of the doctors running the trials, said: 'The brain is good at figuring out that the body is losing weight. If a drug affects one pathway that could be used to bring the weight back, it will switch to another pathway.

With a combination of drugs we have a better chance of hitting two pathways and getting better and more sustained weight loss.'
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

As someone with a BMI just under the obese limit, even if I were very obese I would definitely not take long-term chemistry that would have an effect on the brain or any part thereof or which would change the metabolism. I am perfectly aware what causes me to be overweight: too many calories and not enough exercise. I therefore know the remedy, which involves will-power to eat less and exercise more.

At one time, amphetamines were the miracle slimming drug and look at what they do to the body.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

what i'm catching is the Big Pharamcuticals is trying their swing at drug concoctions in an attempt to take over the weight loss industry...

hrmph.
      "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Yup. While I don't challenge that there are people who have real problems losing weight... most of the obese world is that way because... of diet and exercise. Or lack thereof.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

I'm the other extreme, I can't gain any weight no matter how much I eat or exercise

I'm only 193 pounds for a 6.3 foot guy, pretty bad, any weight gaining pills out there? hehe
          Last edited by Elie; 27 December 2006, 19:22.

Comment

I haven't been 193 since age 15 when I broke 6 feet
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Elie View Post
              I'm the other extreme, I can't gain any weight no matter how much I eat or exercise

I'm only 193 pounds for a 6.3 foot guy, pretty bad, any weight gaining pills out there? hehe

Yeah they have this powder down at GNC.
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

I recall gaining some weight with that powder, then I head people say it's not good for so I stopped it.
                Tried a different brand a year later and that made things worse, couldn't find the original brand though, good idea, maybe I should try something like that.

Comment

The only thing I have been able to gain weight off of is subway and the gym. Slightly over 20lbs in about 10 months.

20 years old, 6'2, went from 180 to slightly over 200 in that time.

193 @ 6'3 isn't really bad at all. I am pretty happy with my build right now at 6'2 200-205ish.
                  Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                  Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

I'm 6'6", 225lbs, which is decent, but I'm way too soft. I gotta replace some of this flab with muscle, while staying around the same weight.
                    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

6'8" ~300lbs according to my BMI, I should loose some 80 lbs.. which I really cannot see happening on my body type
                      We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by Elie View Post
                        ... any weight gaining pills out there? hehe
                        Sure, here you go.
                        They work too, I can attest
                        Chuck
                        秋音的爸爸

Comment

I'll take 10 boxes

Comment

If you do any weights, BMI is out the window.
                            Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                            Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Working...
                            X