Gerald Ford dead at 93

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gerald Ford dead at 93

Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

He seemed like a great president although I don't know much about him other than what I read today. RIP President Ford
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

The only un-elected President of the US, attaining office on the resignation of President Richard Nixon because of the Watergate scandal. Many suspect he and Alexander Haig confroted/convinced Nixon to quit ather than put the nation through an impeachment trial in the Senate.

He was known for his folksy, plain speaking Midwestern style and his wife Betty who was similarly "gifted" but far more outspoken

Controversy arose when he pardoned Nixon to cut short the political infighting and to prevent the long spectacle of a former President on trial in criminal courts. He also wanted Nixon "off his desk" so he could concentrate on more important national issues rather than devote 25% of his time dealing with the Nixon aftermath.

In hindsight even the Dems admit his decision was correct. He made it a distinct point not to pardon Nixons co-conspirators.

I met Gerry Ford while he was in Detroit during the run-up to the 1980 Republican National Convention in Detroit that nominated Ronald Reagan. He was very friendly, to the point that while being treated for an ankle sprain (he had bad knees from playing football) he inserted himself into a chat about the Detroit Tigers the hospital staff was having.

Even after his exam/treatment had finished he continued talking about the Tigers, telling jokes, analyzing the "attributes" of passing nurses etc. much to the consternation of his Secret Service agents. Finally he told the chief agent (in a rather irritated tone) he'd leave "when I darned well feel like it!", which was almost an hour later.

Just one of the guys yukkin' it up.
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 27 December 2006, 00:06.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I wish I'd bought one of those ridiculous WIN buttons.

Gerald Ford was just the president the nation needed after Watergate and through the fall of South Vietnam: low-key and honest and a little too guileless for his own good. Through no design of his own he became the bridge between two distinct ages in US AND world history.

RIP

Kevin

Comment

A little late to say so, but may he rest in peace. He held office just before my time, but I dare say I respect him more than the presidents who have held the position since.

Sadly, it appears that attending his state funeral was not of any great importance to most of our country's leaders. At least with Reagan, Bush had a good excuse (the G8 Summit) for not attending
          “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Working...
          X