Met Opera Live!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Met Opera Live!

The Metropolitan Opera (the USA's biggest, and one of the world's biggest opera houses) in conjuction with Fathom Events (and various other) is producing international live broadcasts of six different operas. Each opera will be broadcast live via satellite in high definition and played in select theaters in the USA, UK, Denmark, Norway and Canada.

The Met's home page for the event is:

USA residence can look for a local theater here:

The seven operas are:

The Magic Flute by W.A. Mozart

I Puritani by Vincenzo Bellini

The First Emperor by Tan Dun (this is a world premier event, as the first ever production occured on 21 Dec 06 @ the Met. Tan Dun is the Grammy/Oscar winning conductor for the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Hero soudtracks. This is his second opera.)

Eugene Onegin by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky.

The Barber of Seville (Il Barbiere di Siviglia) by Gioacchino Rossini.

Il Trittico (The Triptych) by Giacomo Puccini.

So if you are an opera lover, or just want to experience one, support the Met and watch an opera in your area.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

I like opera, but only in small doses
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

opera, just what the world needs, more fat women sreeching at the top of their lungs
      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Noh, Noh, Noh. ...i disagree... fat men screeching.......

actually, this is a pretty cool way to see and listen to opera - no tux required !!!

Comment

Would certainly look at the Flute and the Barber if I could, in the comfort of my home. There is a French satellite chain, Mezzo, which often runs superb operas filmed on stage in Paris, Lyon, London, Berlin, Milan etc. They recently showed a superb William Tell. Most of the time, they are a publicity support for Classical and Jazz CDs, but 2 or 3 times a week they show complete concerts, recitals, operas, oratorios, jazz sessions etc.
          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

I must admit that I, of all people (see sig, also living in the only city of the world with three playing opera houses) have never seen an Opera yet I don't know if I'd like it, though. Although I love the music of Carmen, so maybe I should go sometime...
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Puccini operas are very good for people new to opera.

As for the fat man/woman parts, it's a common misnomer. There are some fat opera singers, but the majority are not. People have this misconception from Wagnerian operas that Bugs Bunny used to make fun of. The part the "fat lady" typically sung required the singer to sing over 4 star opera singers and a chorus all at the same time (and they aren't singing quietly). Thus someone with very robust lungs and windpipes is chosen, a.ka. the fat lady.

In all of the operas I have ever seen live, and with the exception of one opera that had Pavarotti, most of the singers are in very good shape and a few are only slightly chunky.

Sorry, had to clear that up.

Anyway, if anyone wants to watch a really good opera, sans the tux and stuffy aristocrats, go to Il Trittico. It's three single act operas in one (with two intermissions). One is an action opera, one a dram, one a comedy. All are good.

Jammrock
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
              X