Video editing "wow!" moments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video editing "wow!" moments

As we approach the end of yet another year I thought it might be fun to share some of those moments that really make you go "wow!" in relation to video editing hardware advancements and learning.

Here are a few of mine:

- Being able to capture full frame video with my old Matrox Marvel G450eTV. For the first time I could actually edit video that was full D1 resolution. I remember my computer at the time was a Celeron 300a (overclocked to 450 but of course) with a "gigantic" 10GH IBM hard drive.

- I also remember searching the internet one night for software that would allow me to author a DVD. After downloading lots of trials and checking them out I came across DVD Workshop 1. After a few agonizing hours figuring out the interface and what DVD authoring actually was I burned my first DVD, ran downstairs, put in in the DVD players and smiled as the menus popped onto the screen.

- Mark
    - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

- my first project using an Amiga Video Toaster in 1990; NLE, DVE's, CG titling, Lightwave 3D, a synch generator and genlocking on an 8 mhz system with 16 MB of RAM?

Then came the Toaster Flyer addon, which gave the satisfaction of knowing rigs like yours were used to generate special effects for Babylon 5 and many, many other sci-fi programs & movies. Flyer added my first HDD storage & Wavelet compression; before that everything was tape-to-tape

- the first time I used MediaStudio Pro 2.0. Wow....if only Toaster Edit had some of this stuff!! Still using it (8.0).

- setting up my first RAID array and capturing uncompressed D1 at 30 MB/s using a Mystique/Rainbow Runner Studio. My effects just got a lot better.

Still not up to the Toaster, nothing was until the RT-2000 & RT-X100 came along, but cheap enough to set up 4 editing bays to take the load off the Toasters (had 2 by then).

- Day one with the RT-X100. Oh my, almost as much fun as day one with the Toaster

I say 'almost' only because with the Toaster I'd never done this kind of DVE's before save for some genlocked animations & titles using the Amiga hardware starting in the mid 1980's.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 25 December 2006, 05:12.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

hehe, I go as far back as the rainbow runner, with the Mystiqe, then Mystique 2.0, editing using Ulead 2.0, then 5.0

RT2000
      RT2500
      RT.X100
      RT.X10
      AXIO SD
      AXIO LE
      RT.X2

And enjoying every minute of editing

Comment

The only bad thing about the RT's has been using Premiere; the most convoluted mess I've ever used
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Doc,

I remember hearing the CG on B5 was done using lots of Amiga's. That's crazy, those B5 effects were really good. They still hold up today IMO. B5 was a great, great series.

- Mark
          - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

I agree and Premiere still has it's issues!

Matrox needs to write it's own editor like the Insyc Speed Razor if you recall that.

Comment

There are also the *negative* "WOW" moments.

I remember shelling out $1,000 for a Pinnacle PCI card that was...

...incompatible with all retail Compaq computers...

...incompatible with all retail Packard Bell computers...

...incompatible with all retail IBM computers...

...incompatible with all retail Sony computers...

...and on top of spending the $1,000 for the PCI card I got about $1,000 worth of sarcasm from the folks at Pinnacle.

That was a "wow" moment for me.

Fortunately, I bought the card from a vendor who agreed to refund my money.

The vendor then privately shared the horror stories about how a division of Compaq had bought several of those same PCI cards in an attempt to do desktop video internally.

It turns out they couldn't get the cards to work with any of the computers they were using at Compaq.

They had to go out and buy "workstation" models to get the cards to work.

It was a hilarious story.

Jerry Jones
              I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

One of mine was while I was still on linear editing - and what a pain that was! It was adding a card to my 386/25 computer with 387 co-processor, which allowed me to add titles over a video. No scrolling, restricted to two typefaces (serif and non-serif), 3 fonts in each (16, 24 and 48 pixels high), 8 colours, fixed position. I think this was in about 1986. Everything was done in VHS, of course.

My worst one was when I bought a G-200 Marvel. I tried it first in a Pentium Pro 200: didn't work. I then tried it in a Pentium III 450: didn't work. In both cases, no sound and choppy video. I had other sound probs with both computers with several sound cards (voice recognition was flaky). Got an updated BIOS chip (before downloadable BIOS, of course). Even tried NLE proggies other than MSP: no better. Struggled for a whole year with no joy. Changed the motherboard to a Baby Bravo in the PIII, with same processor, RAM etc. and, oh miracle, I had it working within an hour (and the voice recognition). I swore, from that moment, never to buy another Asus motherboard (both computers had Asus ones of 2 very different models). An extra year of linear editing as a result
                Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Hulk View Post
                  Doc,

I remember hearing the CG on B5 was done using lots of Amiga's. That's crazy, those B5 effects were really good. They still hold up today IMO. B5 was a great, great series.

- Mark
                  Lightwave 3D evolved from Alan Hastings "Videoscape" and Stu Fergusons "Modeler", both originally sold by Aegis Software. The quality came from it being one of the first to use a radiosity rendering engine with complex light calculations for caustics. It was also multithreaded, which Amiga's could take advantage of with up to 8 processors.

Yes, there were 8 CPU Amiga's way back in the early 90's. The higher models had their CPU's on a replaceable card and some of the third party upgrades had multiple processors. Some of these used PowerPC's.

Add these to your Amiga Movie list;

Star Trek - Undiscovered Country: Enterprise and Excelsior animations
                  Terminator 2: T2000 morph sequences
                  Robocop/Robocop 2: CG effects
                  The Abyss: water tentacles
                  Total Recall: genlocked graphics
                  Jurassic Park: previsualizations
                  Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 24 December 2006, 01:48.
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

The first NLE system I ever saw or worked with, was the Media100 system at Prairie Public Broadcasting in 1995. Dual monitors and a whopping 30 GB of SCSI storage! That was when I realized just how useful these personal computer thingees really were. When I found out I could build my own, I almost had a heart attack.

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
                      My worst one was when I bought a G-200 Marvel. I tried it first in a Pentium Pro 200: didn't work. I then tried it in a Pentium III 450: didn't work. In both cases, no sound and choppy video. I had other sound probs with both computers with several sound cards (voice recognition was flaky). Got an updated BIOS chip (before downloadable BIOS, of course). Even tried NLE proggies other than MSP: no better. Struggled for a whole year with no joy. Changed the motherboard to a Baby Bravo in the PIII, with same processor, RAM etc. and, oh miracle, I had it working within an hour (and the voice recognition). I swore, from that moment, never to buy another Asus motherboard (both computers had Asus ones of 2 very different models). An extra year of linear editing as a result
                      I wonder if some of these PCs had Via chipsets...
                      Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                      Add these to your Amiga Movie list;

Star Trek - Undiscovered Country: Enterprise and Excelsior animations
                      Terminator 2: T2000 morph sequences
                      Robocop/Robocop 2: CG effects
                      The Abyss: water tentacles
                      Total Recall: genlocked graphics
                      Jurassic Park: previsualizations
                      I'll add SeaQuest to that list

Comment

Ahhhh, but TV shows is a whole other topic

Babylon 5
                        Star Trek TNG (some panels)
                        Seaquest DSV
                        Max Headroom
                        Young Indiana Jones
                        Amazing Stories
                        Unsolved Mysteries
                        Quantum Leap
                        Animaniacs
                        Beauty and the Beast
                        Tommyknockers (movie)
                        ABC 1992 Olympics
                        Dinosaur (movie)
                        The Flash
                        The Dark Half (movie)
                        Afterburn (movie)
                        Ghost Writer
                        Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?
                        My Secret Identity
                        Alf
                        Bionic Showdown (movie)
                        Entertainment Tonight
                        Golden Years
                        Miami Vice
                        Goof Troop
                        Mysteries Beyond the Other Dominion
                        Nick Arcade
                        Robocop
                        Tail Spin

Stadiums/events;

Atlanta Braves Sports Display
                        BC Place Stadium video displays in Vancouver, Canada
                        California Angels Anaheim Stadium
                        Cotton Bowl
                        Dallas Mavericks Reunion Arena's Scoreboard
                        Florida Marlins Joe Robbie Stadium Event Scoreboard
                        Harlem Globtrotters events
                        Miami Dolphins Jumbotron
                        Philadelphia Phillies Scoreboard and Phanavision.
                        Portland Trailblazers, Portland Oregon, sporting events

"Phantom of the Opera" at the Pantages, Toronto: controls audio effects

etc. etc. etc.
                        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 24 December 2006, 21:41.
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere View Post
                          I wonder if some of these PCs had Via chipsets...
                          No, they were 100% Intel. Probably even before Via started its chipset business which I believe was in 1999. I know that many others had problems with these boards for hi-tech applications, but what irked me most was Asus' attitude to the problem; they simply ignored it.
                          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

My first non Amiga editing rig was based on the Intel Atlantis board w/integrated graphics (ATI) and audio. Not too bad with the Mystique/RRS but I needed to move on when the 300mhz CPU's came out.

Didn't try an Asus until the P2B, and it was sweet. So was the P3B-F, one of the most stable boards I've ever owned and only approached by the MSI-745 Ultra and (so far) the Tyan Thunder n3600B.
                            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Jerry and Brian,

Those are some serious "Uh Oh!" moments there.

I also spent countless hours figuring out workarounds for various video editing problems when I first got into this field.

Luckily as the technology has progressed I've noticed more "Wow" moments than "uh oh" moments.
                              - Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X