Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transparent electronics

http://www.physorg.com/news86012898.html

Imagine a car windshield that displays a map to your destination, military goggles with targets and instructions displayed right before a soldier's eyes or a billboard that doubles as a window.

Only in science fiction you say? Northwestern University researchers report that by combining organic and inorganic materials they have produced transparent, high-performance transistors that can be assembled inexpensively on both glass and plastics.

The results of this breakthrough, which brings such futuristic high-quality displays closer to reality, were published in the November 2006 issue of the journal Nature Materials.

Researchers have long worked on developing new types of displays powered by electronics without visible wires. But, until now, no one was able to develop materials for transistors that could be "invisible" while still maintaining a high level of performance.

"Our development provides new strategies for creating transparent electronics," said Tobin J. Marks, the Vladimir N. Ipatieff Research Professor in Chemistry in the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences at Northwestern and professor of materials science and engineering, who led the research. "You can imagine a variety of applications for new electronics that haven't been possible previously -- imagine displays of text or images that would seem to be floating in space."
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Interesting... But I'm not sure this is such good thing for road safety.

Numerous experiments in the past have shown that changes in the foreground can make a person blind for even blatently obvious changes in the background (change blindness) but also focusisng on one aspect makes one blind for other sections in the perceived image (inattentional blindness).

Here are some demos of change blindness (spot the difference between the 2 image that flash, right click provides more options):

So while at first on screen displays look perfect, experiments show that this is not always the case...

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I've been wanting HUDs for cars for a while now. AFAIK, some premium cars (prototypes?) can project an image taken by an IR or UV cam onto the windshield (augmented reality) to help sight in low light.

I want the speed to be displayed in the windshield, I don't like having to move my eyes so far down to see the tacho.
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

The first production HUD's for a car was the 1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme Indy Pace Car limited edition. The HUD was made by Hughes Aircraft, which was owned by GM.

GM, Nissan and BMW all offer optional HUD's on certain models. Since 2000 GM has also offered a HUD incorporating Raytheon's thermal night vision on Cadillacs, starting with the DeVille's.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 23 December 2006, 05:58.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Cool, we'll have flex computer sheets in no time

Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Originally posted by az View Post
            I want the speed to be displayed in the windshield, I don't like having to move my eyes so far down to see the tacho.
            I already drove a car that had that feature, but can't remember which one. afaik you even get cheap kits to do that yourself (just speed). kind of useful, your eyes are on the road for a much longer time (no delay when the eye is refocusing).

mfg
            wulfman
            "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
            "Lobsters?"
            "Really? I didn't know they did that."
            "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Mercedes has an IR system in option on the S-class and other models in their high range.
              But it doesn't use a HUD; the speedindicator, rpm, etc. are actually displayed on an lcd. When the IR feature is used, the dashboard layout changes to make room for the video image.
              IIRC, the Chevrolet Corvette was the first to offer an HUD for speed and rpm on thei anniversary model several years ago.

Jorg
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
              X