Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mobile Phones in Petrol stations (cellphones in gas stations)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile Phones in Petrol stations (cellphones in gas stations)

I was walking into the shop that was attached to a petrol station here, I hadn't driven, and I was on the phone to a friend. Of course I got shouted at furiously by a security guard for being on the phone, and told to switch it off.

So ok I did that, I've heard that rule before.

But it got me thinking - how many ppl have blown up a petrol (gas) station by being on a mobile (cell) phone that sparked? I've never seen any petrol explosions ever ever ever from phones (on the news). Come to think of it, I've never heard of a cellphone sparking either.

Anyone have more info on this? It seems like they made up some junk science to make sure ppl's full attention was on using a pump to refill a vehicle. The reason I am suspicious is because of the similar scary stories about phones and electrical interference. I have doctor friends who say the radiologists in hospitals are happy to leave their mobile phones on permanently, even when taking x-rays and standing near the machines. Closer to home, a phone only interferes with a stereo if it is perhaps 40-50cm away.

Aha, google to the rescue:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03...xplosion_myth/

It turns out I am right, a mobile phone has never ever caused a fire in a petrol station. The law was introduced after the Piper Alpha disaster as a precaution, and noone has bothered to change it. I'll tell the security guard that when I see him next

Comment

In fact, the law actually states that employees are not allowed to use mobile phones, but not customers (in petrol stations). I'll tell the security guard that too :P

Comment

Mythbusters also busted that myth.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Yep, all the incidents that may look like cellphone related fires, are actually caused by static discharge between the driver and the car. You should always touch a metal part of your car before you start fueling.
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Snopes is your friend: http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp
            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Working...
            X