Letters from Iwo Jima

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letters from Iwo Jima

Following his film Flags of our Fathers comes Clint Eastwood's Letters from Iwo Jima. There are trailers here and on the official movie site.

It's awesome to see an American film about this, the Japanese bravery and sacrifice during the battle of Iwo Jima. We've seen films about the Japanese side during WWII that are decently accurate portrayals before, but it's been a long while since and I think it's commendable that Eastwood would depict the lives of those involved on both sides over not one, but two feature films.

Haven't seen the former movie as of yet, so I can't say whether one could expect this one to be good or bad, but the Japanese actors involved are ones I've enjoyed watching before.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Originally posted by Jessterw View Post
    Haven't seen the former movie as of yet...
    It was pretty good. I'm more of an action war movie fan, and Flags was not an action war movie. Most of the film revolves around "what makes someone a hero?" and not around the battle itself. There is a good deal of action in the beginning, but after that it's the three flag raises going around on tour and a few snipets of the Japanese resistence on Iwo Jima.

And the story is pretty scattered too. It had huge potential, but I think Clint dwelled too long on art and philosophy, and not enough on Iwo Jima. And I don't say that simply because I love the action, but this is a war movie. Without the actions of war the philosophies of war faulter. Just my opinon.

I would put it at 3.5 stars out of 5. Above average, but not great.

After seeing Flags I will probably just rent Letters, unless I hear it's significantly better.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Well,the trailer (both) look promising.
      Never heard of Iwo Jima befrore btw.
      I wonder if the movie finds his way to german cinema.....?
      ASUS P5B-E ;2GB G.Skill DDR2 Ram; C2D6420;lub 3D X1950pro ;SoundBlaster X-Fi;WinXP

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
        After seeing Flags I will probably just rent Letters, unless I hear it's significantly better.
        I have a suspicion that the films weren't going to be war movies in the traditional sense given Eastwood was behind them, and he leans towards introspective fare of sorts these days.

I do know of one person who's seen the later film and apparently really liked it. She lives in Japan (and yes, is Japanese). So in many ways, I find that to be a good sign.
        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Working...
        X