Power Supply Confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Supply Confusion

I'm just now putting together a new system and basically I need just a case and power supply to finish everything off. Is there any real difference between a 235W/250W/or a 300W p.s.? All I'm putting in the case is a BE6, one hard drive, cdrom, cdr, and the usual video stuff. I know I sound cheap, but will buying a 300W p.s. really be worth it?

A 300W power supply is generally seen as a luxury nowadays. I run a similar setup (2 hdd, cd, cdr) on a 250W p/s that came with my full tower case and had no problems so far. However you might want to consider that 300W p/s in case you plan to add stuff in the future - the cost is minimal if you consider that a cheap solution might cost you too much in the long run (already had 2 burnouts, see)
    Currently powered by:
    P3 600EB@700, Matrox G400 32MB DH, QDI Advance 9, 128MB PC133 Goldstar

Comment

The price difference between a 230w PS and a 300W PS are not that great. With the better PS, you don't have to worry when you start adding fans to your system to keep all of that awesome equipment cool. Just ask ALBPM about those fans, he is beginning to rack 'em up. Believe it or not your CDR uses alot of juice and it gets the inside of the case warm, so you will probably want to add a few case fans. The better the power supply, the better. Same goes for the case, you will never regret spending a few extra dollars on one. That is the one piece that lasts through several upgrades, so don't skimp. That is just my opinion, though, and some others may say go cheap, cheap, cheap.

Matt

Comment

Thanks! I've been checking out the CasEdge ATX box and it seems pretty good. Only it comes in 235W and 300W versions. But the way it seems, it might be good just to splurg on the 300W. I guess you can never have too much power.

Comment

The best power supplies are probably from <a href="http://www.pcpowercooling.com/">PC Power & Cooling</a>. If your mains voltage drops during summer AC season, these power supplies are better regulated and won't crap out as soon as a cheap Chinese one will. They are not cheap, but its the last one you will need.
          AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Here, Here PC Power & Cooling... They PC&C. Still have one in operation in an old case. Have had the TurboCool 350 (Full Tower Model) in operation for 6 years now. Zero problems... Full voltage regulation, Either 2nd fan kicks in when temperatures warrant or fan kicks into high gear (hence name turbo-cool). Loads of power connectors (no splitters needed).

They are pricy, but well worth it. You'd be better of sticking with one of their 200 or 250 Watt units with voltage regulation, than going to anyone else's 300 or 350 watter.
            Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
            - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
            - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
            - 6.1 Digital Audio
            - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
            - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
            - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
            - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
            - LS120 IDE Floppy
            - Zip 100 IDE
            - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
            - NEC FE950
            - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Working...
            X