My christmas present

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My christmas present

This year, I decided to give myself a christmas present I've been wanting since last year. No, not a blowjob. I bought myself a Squeezebox:

And what can I say, got the parcel about ten minutes ago, it's already set up and playing over my WLAN (with WPA), display animation is as smooth as an iPod's, the thing is much heavier than one would guess from photos and looks and feels very solidly built. It's very very easy to use, sounds good as far as I can tell this quick... it's almost as good as that second present I had in mind (but would rather not give to myself). I'm delighted.

The best part is, I was waiting for this thing to be delivered, so I was very disappointed finding a note in my mailbox saing the mailman was here but couldn't deliver because apparently I wasn't. But I was! And just half an hour ago, the bell rings, it's the mailman telling me he tried again back on his way to the depot so I wouldn't have to go and pick it up myself tomorrow! That's very nice, I left him a small tip

Damn, I have an appointment with a friend and I really do want to go, but I also want to play with my new toy! Life is cruel
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Sweet.

I've been on the fence about getting one of those. Good to hear it is well built; too many consumer/electronic devices these days feel like they were built to be disposable.

Have fun playing with your new toy!
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Cool
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I have been looking at those, but at the moment (in a single room appartement) hardly a need for such devices. But they are on my christmas list for when I move to an own house/appartement...

Jörg
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Does it just do audio, or do you get video streaming also ?

edit : and how does it work ? I mean if its an emitter, what are the receivers ?
          PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
          Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
          +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

It's just for audio. You can get lots of devices that do A/V, but these don't have a nice display, and I don't want to have the TV running when I'm listening to music.

I don't really understand the emitter/receiver question. This thing is the receiver, it receives mp3 streams from a server running on my PC. it has audio outputs, so you can just connect it to your stereo amp or powered speakers or AV receiver or headphones or anything that has a line or digital in.

Comment

Oh, ok.
              I was just wondering where it got it's source from, and how it ouputted to the speakers.
              I wasn't quite sure which parts were wireless.

I'll look for more on their (i can't spell their or thier again) website.

J

edit : I know its I before E except after C, but it doesn't seem right either way...
              PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
              Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
              +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

It's "their". One of the many exceptions to that rule.
                Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

It's a derivative of "they", if this helps remember.

Comment

Wow! I asked how to display a note symbol on the Squeezebox's display - and within two hours the author of the MusicInfoScr plugin I use updated his plugin to make this possible!

I am amazed.

Comment

Working...
                    X