configuring a non-ide cdrom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• configuring a non-ide cdrom?

Building a system for a friend out of leftovers 120 mhz pentium,diamond stealth video,diamond multimedia sound card,teac non-ide cd-rom 4x.I have attached the cd-rom to the sound card.My question is how should I go about configuring the cd-rom in order to load the os?I have all the drivers for both,at what point should I load them and what would be the best procedure to follow to get the cd-rom up and running?Thanks in advance for your help!

good question! what os? what type of non ide? scsi? in windows98 startup disk it will find the cd rom right?

Comment

You mean you want to install your OS?

First thing you need to do is locate the floppy 3.5 inch disk that came with your OS. It should be called a Startup disk or something.

Put that in your floppy disk drive, turn your computer on, and you should be given a couple of options on the screen. Choose "boot OS from CD-ROM". Put the OS CD in the CD-ROM drive. In theory that should start the install for the OS, and all you need to do is follow the instructions on screen.

Comment

I'm sorry I was not more explicit.The os-win95.The problem is that this cd-rom is an older version,hence the generic drivers on the boot floppy do not work with it.Therefore the question is,how can I get the cd-rom working in dos,so I can load win95 from there?What procedure should be followed?It is a scusi,and relies on a controller card or,in this case,it is connected to the creative labs sound card.

[This message has been edited by Alfie (edited 07-24-99).]

Comment

Alfie,

Make a bootable disk on a different system with the same rev/level of OS you plan to install. Copy himem.sys and emm386.exe to the floppy disk.

Create a config.sys file on the floppy with the following...
          device=himem.sys /testmem: off (no space after the colon - ubb turns it into an "OH" face)
          device=emm386.exe noems
          dos=high,umb
          devicehigh=cdromdrv.sys /o=option /d:mscd001

(substitute cdromdrv.sys for your cdrom driver, and /o=option for the proper options of your driver)

create an autoexec.bat file with the following

lh a:\mscdex /d=mscd001
          d:
          cd d:\win95
          setup

This should give you a bootable diskette that loads your cdrom drivers for installation....

[This message has been edited by Guyver (edited 07-24-99).]
          Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
          - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
          - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
          - 6.1 Digital Audio
          - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
          - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
          - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
          - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
          - LS120 IDE Floppy
          - Zip 100 IDE
          - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
          - NEC FE950
          - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Guyver Iwish to thank you for this information and will procede with this plan.Pardon my ignorance,but when you say substitute cdromdrv.sys for your cdrom driver and o=option for the proper options of your driver,should I add these commands as stated or substitute the specific drivers for these commands?The world of ide seems so much easier!Once again thanks for your help,it is always a pleasure,when you find knowledge when you need it.

Comment

Jon,
              My friend is cheap! Actually I've considered this,and have looked for a used ide cdrom,but to no avail.Besides I enjoy monumental headaches and the challenges put forth getting them However if all else fails I'll probably follow this road.Thanks

Comment

Why not just pay $10-15 for a used 4x or 8x IDE CD-ROM and keep your installation simple?

Comment

Alfie .. there's a program called CD-Rom GOD
                  which i downloaded from www.driverzone.com
                  it makes u bootable floppy with many cd-rom drivers .. give it a try

------------------
                  GigaByte 6BXE, celeron 300A@464, 128 PC100 RAM,
                  G200 8 M SD @112.5 core. driver 4.51, bios 2.3.

GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

Comment

Those old SB cdrom/sound card combos are a nightmare. For drivers, try:

http://support.soundblaster.com/file...os&prod=cd_ide

And look for sbide121.exe. That'll work if it's an IDE controller on the soundcard (which most of them were I think).

It's probably not a scsi. Look for a chip on the board labeled Adaptec AHA-1510. If it is there, go to the Adaptec website for drivers. The card would also be labeled "SoundBlaster 16 SCSI" if it was the SCSI-2 version. Otherwise, it's IDE.

------------------
                    Andrew Gallagher - andrew@agallagher.com
                    Asus P2B-S, PII-350, 64MB PC100, 12.7GB Quantum Fireball EX ATA-33, 3.2GB IBM Deskstar3 EIDE, 2 Quantum Atlas I 2.1GB UWSCSI, Toshiba 6201 SCSI CD, WangDAT SCSI, MillG200 8MB (Anxiously awaiting my G400MAX), SBLive! Retail, Win98SE

[This message has been edited by agallag (edited 07-27-99).]
                    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I wish to thank every one for there help.The cd-rom is a teac 55a,the card is a soundblaster with a panasonic connection.(The only connection that works with this cd-rom,outside of teacs own cards)The downloaded drivers from teac did not come with an install program,however buried on page 8,were the instructions for manually configuring the drivers,so off to config.sys and autoexec.bat,I went typed in all the paths and there it went.Created a start-up disk following Guyver's instructions for backup and everythings cool!Thanks again.

Comment

Great Alfie... Glad to hear it. It feels good to know you were able to help someone out...
                        Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                        - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                        - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
                        - 6.1 Digital Audio
                        - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
                        - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
                        - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
                        - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                        - LS120 IDE Floppy
                        - Zip 100 IDE
                        - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                        - NEC FE950
                        - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Working...
                        X