• Show
Clear All

• Amazon d/l music DRM free?

Evidence is a bit light, but I like the idea

Amazon set to flood digital music market

DRM-free at last?

By Chris Williams
    19th December 2006 16:45 GMT

Amazon looks set to plough into the digital music market next year. The retailer started romancing music labels last week.

We talked to an Amazon spokesman today, who said the company was positive about the "massive growth" in the download market. He confirmed that providing digital music was "definitely an area of interest" for the retailer.

Already the internet's number one destination for physical music sales, the most shocking thing about the news is that it has taken them so long. One explanation being touted is that Amazon will launch DRM-free, which will have required delicate and drawn out negotiations with nervous major record labels.

For Amazon, an empire built on slashing overheads, logic dictates any music store will be extended to include movies, TV shows and games. The FT reported Sunday Amazon is also in talks with Sony to provide movies for transfer to PSP, for example.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

From what you posted, there is no evidence whatsoever. The only "evidence" there says they are talking to music labels, all this stuff about them opening an online music store, and DRM-free at that, are pure speculation. If there are indeed iondicators Amazon will open a DRM-free download store, the authors safely keep these with themselves.
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Tend to agree with Az. Amazon's last foray into digital media didn't go over so well (the Unbox movie download service), though it does appear to still be active. If this were Yahoo that was being discussed I would completely believe in on the DRM-free point, given they've long said they would much rather be offering just that instead of the DRM-enabled tracks they currently do.
      “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Working...
      X