Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never have kids

I am not sure what my reaction would be, right after I put down the camera

We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

THOSE AREN'T FINGER PAINTS!!!!!

It would be one of those situations where you would laugh, cry, and then finally scream when you got the bill to fix the floor.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Having twins myself who managed to mark every wall in the house right after they were freshly painted, all I can do is laugh it off! It was so cute when I asked the two of them to help me clean the walls, photo moment

Mark it as a historic event for when they grow up, be sure to include this picture in a slide show at their wedding hehe

Comment

Originally posted by Elie
          Mark it as a historic event for when they grow up, be sure to include this picture in a slide show at their wedding hehe
          And when that pic comes up tell them that THAT'S the reason why they never got an allowance like every other kid.
          Titanium is the new bling!
          (you heard from me first!)

Comment

What's the big deal? We raised 3 boys and a girl who thought she was one
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by tjalfe
              I am not sure what my reaction would be, right after I put down the camera

[/IMG]
              What would you do, spank or ground yourself?

If you leave an opened can of paint, the rest is up to the kids imagination.
              Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

you can see the spoon they used to open the paint... maybe they really are just little monsters. Tbh it looks a bit like a fix, otherwise i would be thanking God they didn't get it in their eyes

Comment

This would not be a problem if they had a normal amount of supervision.

And buy a lock for the paint cabinet.. geez. This episode has "irresponsible parent" written all over it. What if they had thought it was milk and drank it all?

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                    This episode has "irresponsible parent" written all over it.
                    1) No parent can, or should, vulture over their kids 24/7. True, they need to keep tabs on their kids as much as possible and be responsible, but not sit over them and closely scrutinize their every move. More on this later.

2) You apparently have never had a curious hellian child. I saw this and immediately thought, "I can see my son doing this." I'm not a perfect parent, but I'm a damn good father and very responsible parent, but I know well it is impossible to prevent all mishaps, even the big ones.

3) You apparently have little concept on how resourceful children are.

4) Judging the parents without knowing the circumstances is just outright poor form on your part.

What if the children got out of their rooms and did it during the early hour mornings while the parents where asleep? Maybe the paints were in a garage or room that the parents normally kept locked, or did and the kids found a way in or forgot to lock it on a single occasion because they were so exhausted when they went to bed? There are so many "what if's" regarding this situation that it truly is poor of you to automatically judge these parents from a single incident. Plus, if you look at how the house would normally be minus the paint, it doesn't look like the house of parent that neglect their duties.

True this could have been potentially disasterous, but take the picture for what it is and get a good laugh out of it instead of attacking the two poor parents who have to clean up that mess.

Jammrock

Comment

What if they had thought it was milk and drank it all?
                      A new candidate for a Darwin award or two?

Comment

Well, kids are like sponges.. they absorb parent's attitudes. The mere fact that one of the parents is standing there with a camera and the kids are smiling indicates a discipline problem. A kid as old as the older one here should not be smiling in this situation. If he'd been my kid, an incident like this would not have prompted me to get out the camera. He woulda been so scared of how mad he'd know I would be that it would have stopped him in his tracks. I actually dated a woman who had such a kid once, and she was kinda chaotic in her reactions to such things. It wasn't that she was a bad parent, but she sent mixed signals.. happy go lucky is just not a good response to hell-raising. When her son and daughter were riding in the car with me and the son (3-4yo) tossed his sister's purse out the window, I stopped the car, picked him up and held him face to face and told him calmly to go get her purse.. NOW. For some reason he did it and didn't mess around with me again.

Comment

Something I never thought I'd say, but I tend to agree with KvH...

(edit: in his first post)

Jörg
                          Last edited by VJ; 18 July 2006, 02:17.
                          pixar
                          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

... I stopped the car, picked him up and held him face to face and told him calmly to go get her purse.. NOW. For some reason he did it and didn't mess around with me again.
                            Yep, fear, that's a good thing to instill in a child

Children are complex. They are full of curiosity and a wonderful knack for reasoning that anything they do can't be too bad. If you have kids and they lack this, then that's bad parenting, because you've robbed them of their very childhood.

Too many parents go to one extreme or the other, often because of how their own parents were. Personally I'm not adverse to spanking my kids, but that's only in addition to a sit-down discussion on what was inappropriate behaviour on their part, and only when the situation requires it (which is entirely subjective). My kids know I mean business, but they are in no way afraid of me. I hope they respect me (and have always felt that they do).

If my kids did something like this? Sure, I'd be right pissed, but if I had a camera handy I'm sure I would have done the same. Memories are far more important than what may have been damaged. That said, they would surely know they right quick that this sort of thing was to never happen again.
                            “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

If you ever procreate KvH, I hope you get a hellion. I promise you that kid will break you like a dry twig. Absorb parents habits like a sponge ... do you have any kids? Do you have the slightest f'ing clue what you are talking about?

Children will absorb SOME of their parents habits and MUCH of what their parents say and do, but each child is just as unique as each adult is. Yes parents can sway and teach their kids to do the right things and make the right decisions. Parents can even scare the everloving shit out of their children to try and get them to obey, but in the end it's up to the kid to listen or not.

Trust me on this one, I have the experience to prove it. I have a hellion, and I have tried EVERYTHING to get him to calm down from fear to kindness to time outs to spanking and everything else in between. The fact still remains that he is an energetic hellion. That's just the way he is. And if a 6'2" 350+ lbs. ex-interior defensive lineman can't scare the shit out of a kid, you sure as hell aren't going to do much better.

Now let's face it, if your statement were correct ever son of a masculine, beer guzzling, titty loving male father who played catch with his sons and went to all of their sporting and acedemic events would turn out straight, model citizens. Unfortunately this is about true and unicorns, giant fire breathing dragons, and griffins. Which are all nothing but a myth.

Kids will be kids, people will be people, and humans will be human. All of which means, we make bad mistakes sometime and do stupid things, but as long as we are happy in the end its worth the heartache.
                              Last edited by Jammrock; 17 July 2006, 20:36.

Comment

Working...
                              X