Not to be read by under-30s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not to be read by under-30s

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

We took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cakes, white bread and real butter and drank pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

Everybody, but everybody, went trainspotting, because that was THE thing to do!! We loved our steam engines and 'Anorak' was a word that just was not in our vocabulary - being the creation of those of a later generation such as those whose main occupation appears to consist of bellowing inanely at 22 men kicking a leather sphere, filled with air, around a field! (Get a life??)

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cellphones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no
    lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Football teams had trials and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

....and while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

PS -The big type is because your eyes are shot at your age

How true
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Only 28 and I read anyways... and hey, what do you know, I was born in the 70's

Sadly, though the above rings true for how I grew up, there are a lot of people in my generation for whom it wouldn't. Sadder still is that while I can instill a lot of it in my kids, they will never be able to experience just as much of it.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

I fall in that category, born in the 60's and most of the above was true! and still consider the good ol' days!

Comment

I'm 27 and I was born in the 70's. So I fall in that category also and yeah, most of that is true.
        Titanium is the new bling!
        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

29 and almost all of that was true. Heck disappearing into the woods for hours wasn' t unheard of either.
          Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Applied quite a bit longer for the ones born in former soviet block (luckily...)

Comment

33 here, and most does apply!
              "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro View Post
                I'm 27 and I was born in the 70's. So I fall in that category also and yeah, most of that is true.

This is a clear violation of the rule:

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
                Not to be read by under-30s

You should be punished!

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Originally posted by ND66 View Post
                  This is a clear violation of the rule:

You should be punished!

But his rule contradicts what is said in his original message.

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
                  CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!
                  And seeing as 1979 is considered the 70's, well... case closed.
                  Titanium is the new bling!
                  (you heard from me first!)

Comment

70's too..

I used to eat chewing gum i found under the swings and on the floor in the local playground.

...and just sort of realised i'm in the 30's now ....
                    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

29.... and i was too busy surviving a civil war.. ..... but yeh... most of it is true...

with every generation there is a trade off... things balnce out in a wierd way... we evolve and de-evolve at the same time

*sigh*..... peace is the word for to day.....
                      "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
                        WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!
                        what is "out"side?

20. Some is true some isn't, although there is probably more of that which is untrue for me as opposed to you guys.
                        Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                        Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Outside is this very large room with the broken aircon and the variable lighting in which all other, smaller rooms are placed.
                          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Outside is a boundless multiplayer area with lots of built in stuff and technologies:
                            1. Almost unlimited resolution and FPS
                            2. Lot's of force feedback
                            3. Damage to structure remains even after you leave the area.
                            4. No (!!!) health packs or respawns
                            5. True-to-life physic engine with rebounds etc.
                            6. Full realtime ray tracing, mip mapping, anistropic filtering and best anti aliasing you've seen.
                            7. Unlimited texture sizes
                            8. Tactile effects (!)
                            9. Temperature, smells, tastes..
                            10. and so much more!

Needless to say it's still in beta testings.

edit: By the way, I've heard rumors that John Carmack and nVIDIA are working on Outside version 1.02
                            Last edited by TransformX; 21 December 2006, 03:23.
                            "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

You forgot;

We made rocket fuel out of sugar & xxxxxxxxx, primers out of match heads, improvised explosives out of Vaseline & xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and put them together in home made bazookas without blowing ourselves to bits!!

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 21 December 2006, 03:24.
                              Dr. Mordrid
                              ----------------------------
                              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                              X